cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registering own name directly to 70D camera

peterl
Contributor

In the event of theft I would like to register my name directly on to the 70D camera. I read about this function somewhere in the instructions but cannot find it again.

Regards,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

EOS Utility does this.  

Connect the camera via USB, power up the camera, and lauch EOS Utility.

Pick the option for "Camera settings/Remote shooting" on the main screen.  That closes the main window and opens a new window showin the camera control inteface.  

Roughly in the middle of the panel is a row of icons (a camera icon, a lightning bolt icon (flash), a hammer & wrench, and a star.)  Pick the hammer/wrench icon.

Just below the icon, the display updates with set-up menu options include "Owner's name", "Author", and "Copyright" definitions.  Whatever you set on those options will be sent to the camera.  Also, images you shoot will have that embedded with the EXIF data.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Look in Menu for Copyright.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you John for your reply but that isn't exactly what I want. I read somewhere in the 467 pages of instructions about connecting the camera to the computer and using the EOS utility registering my own name directly on to the camera.

Regards,

Peter

@peterl wrote:

Thank you John for your reply but that isn't exactly what I want. I read somewhere in the 467 pages of instructions about connecting the camera to the computer and using the EOS utility registering my own name directly on to the camera.

Regards,

Peter

Actually, it is exactly what you wanted. You can enter your name either way: via the copyright menu or with EOS Utility. The advantage of using EOS Utility is that you can copy in a pre-constructed text file. That doesn't make much difference if you're entering just your name, but the copyright notice itself can be tedious to type in on the camera menu. If you have two copyright notices (home and work) like I do, it's nice to be able to switch back and forth easily. And if you carry two or more cameras, you can use EOS Utility to synchronize their times with your computer. This ensures that when you sort the results of your shoot, everything will come out in the right chronological order.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Bob. I realise that now.

Regards,

Peter

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

EOS Utility does this.  

Connect the camera via USB, power up the camera, and lauch EOS Utility.

Pick the option for "Camera settings/Remote shooting" on the main screen.  That closes the main window and opens a new window showin the camera control inteface.  

Roughly in the middle of the panel is a row of icons (a camera icon, a lightning bolt icon (flash), a hammer & wrench, and a star.)  Pick the hammer/wrench icon.

Just below the icon, the display updates with set-up menu options include "Owner's name", "Author", and "Copyright" definitions.  Whatever you set on those options will be sent to the camera.  Also, images you shoot will have that embedded with the EXIF data.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you Tim, that was exactly what I was looking for. Also, thank you to all the kind fellows who donate their time to help dummies like me.

Regards,

Peter
Announcements