cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live View Screen on Camera While Streaming Externally via HDMI

lbagdasarian
Apprentice

I'm using my laptop as an external monitor for my EOS 5D Mark III using the mini HDMI port of the camera and a webcam adapter (Cam Link). When I do this, I get Canon LiveView on my laptop BUT the screen on my camera shuts off unfortunately and so my only display is through my laptop. Is there a way to get both LiveView on my camera's screen AND LiveView from the camera displaying on my laptop at the same time? Why is it only one or the other since actual camera monitors (i.e. not a laptop) display both.

1 REPLY 1

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi lbagdasarian,

Thanks for checking in with us!

There is a setting in the menu that you can check. It is called HDMI DISPLAY. Check to make sure that your camera is set to display a signal for both camera and screen when using an HDMI connection.

If shooting for more than 30 minutes with that setup, then you may need to press the camera's shutter halfway down to keep it from folling asleep.

That said, we can't guarantee how well our equipment will work with accessories we don't make, so you may wish to check with Elgato for additional suggestions about working with your Cam Link accessory.

As you may have heard, we've recently introduced EOS Webcam Utility, a free program for live-streaming with many of our cameras using a USB connection.

The EOS R5 is compatible with EOS Webcam Utility, so you ou can get the software by visiting the link below:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/eoswebcamutility

Once installed, the software should show up in the system tray on the bottom right corner of your screen. You can then connect the camera by USB, turn it on, and use your live-streaming platform of choice. If the program works, then your camera should get detected and you should be set to go.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements