cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue : Using 600EXII-RT with 5DSR is disabling all buttons on the body

polaris8030
Apprentice

I have used the 5DSR + 600EXII setup without issue for about a year on numerous occasions. Last time I used this setup was about 2 weeks ago and noticed nothing unusual. This time around I am unable to use any of the camera buttons when the EX-II is turned on. Flash is in ETTL mode. No custom settings applied.

Observations

1. on occasion, turning the flash switch from off to lock will result in a blinking flash icon on the LCD screen. This doesn't happen too often (~10% of the time) and I haven't recorded this in my video. I mention this if it helps in the debug. 

2. about 50% of the time, turning switch from off to lock or off to on will fire off a test flash.

2. changing the flash angle with the lock release button on the side of the unit - fires a flash. Why ? this is a new behavior of my camera flash

3. Turning on the flash (move switch from off to lock, or off to on, or off to lock and then on)  is sufficient to disable all back buttons. I do not have to take a photo. Turning off the flash does not allow recovery from this button disabled state. I have to power cycle the body

No error code thrown

Posted a video online : https://youtu.be/27QTtO9O5nw

Any help is highly appreciated

Thanks

-S

1 REPLY 1

@polaris8030 wrote:

I have used the 5DSR + 600EXII setup without issue for about a year on numerous occasions. Last time I used this setup was about 2 weeks ago and noticed nothing unusual. This time around I am unable to use any of the camera buttons when the EX-II is turned on. Flash is in ETTL mode. No custom settings applied.

Observations

1. on occasion, turning the flash switch from off to lock will result in a blinking flash icon on the LCD screen. This doesn't happen too often (~10% of the time) and I haven't recorded this in my video. I mention this if it helps in the debug. 

2. about 50% of the time, turning switch from off to lock or off to on will fire off a test flash.

2. changing the flash angle with the lock release button on the side of the unit - fires a flash. Why ? this is a new behavior of my camera flash

3. Turning on the flash (move switch from off to lock, or off to on, or off to lock and then on)  is sufficient to disable all back buttons. I do not have to take a photo. Turning off the flash does not allow recovery from this button disabled state. I have to power cycle the body

No error code thrown

Posted a video online : https://youtu.be/27QTtO9O5nw

Any help is highly appreciated

Thanks

-S

That camera/flash matchup should be sufficiently common that such a bizarre incompatibility should have been widely reported. And it's pretty unlikely anyway, given that the problem took a year to manifest itself. So I'm going to take the path of least resistance and guess that it's caused by something like a loose connection in your camera's hot shoe. In any case, I'd turn the problem over to Canon before wasting what could be a significant amount of time on it. (But that's easy for me to say, because I'll be stopping by the Jamesburg shop anyway later this week on my way home from Philadelphia. YMMV.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements