cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to change the defaut memory card on the EOS R5 to always use the CF card NOT the SD card

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I have noticed that my R5 in constantly change the default memory card.  This happens with playback settings, video etc.  I want my camera to always use the much faster CF Express card instead the SD card but it seems to prefer the SD card as default.  I am always changing it back to the CF card but it changes back again.  I think this is happens when I remove the CF card to export pictures from the card to the computer and then by mistake I power on the camera w/o the CF card installed.  Of course I would assume things would default to the SD card.  But when I put the CF card back in I want to to again default everything to the CF card.  I have the camera set to "record to multiple"  I never take pictures w/o both cards installed but occasional I will power on the camera w/o the CF card installed and it resets the default card.  The SD card is just used as a backup.

1 REPLY 1

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@sparkycpg wrote:

I have noticed that my R5 in constantly change the default memory card.  This happens with playback settings, video etc.  I want my camera to always use the much faster CF Express card instead the SD card but it seems to prefer the SD card as default.  I am always changing it back to the CF card but it changes back again.  I think this is happens when I remove the CF card to export pictures from the card to the computer and then by mistake I power on the camera w/o the CF card installed.  Of course I would assume things would default to the SD card.  But when I put the CF card back in I want to to again default everything to the CF card.  I have the camera set to "record to multiple"  I never take pictures w/o both cards installed but occasional I will power on the camera w/o the CF card installed and it resets the default card.  The SD card is just used as a backup.

That happens with all dual card slot Canon cameras. I am assuming it's a safety feature to be sure you don't "record" to an empty slot. 

Maybe if you configure C1 custom settings to use the CF slot (and don't have update switched on) you could just switch to C1 after replacement of a card. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements