cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II AF Movie Servo mode

Maxpower
Apprentice
I got the camera for stills but thought I would try it out on my sons 1st wrestling match of the season. Since it is fast action, I put it in 60p mode. The limitation at 60p is that there is no af servo mode. Does that mean if the subject is moving out of the focus dof, you have to press the focus button to get it to refocus?

I noticed that the camera was hunting focus a bit. For my purposes, I was happy with the results but it would nicer if it just auto focused and tracked. I am just trying to understand the limitations and trade-offs. Perhaps I will try 30p next time.

Any thoughts on 7d mark II video for sports?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Hello Maxpower,

Yes, the issue you experienced with the camera hunting is undoubtedly due to the AF mode used.  You might try using 30p, as you said, next time and also consider using an STM series lens.  As this will aid in continuous AF in Movie AF Servo mode.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried again video again but after reading the manual closer, I see that movie servo mode works at 60p but in 720p mode. This is plenty of resolution for shooting wrestling matches.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements