cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d Mark IV Metering / over exposure with same settings and lighting

sdkstudio
Apprentice

I'm shooting product and taking several shots with same settings with the following: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Lens EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Setting f32 / 1.6 ISO 100 without making any changes or any adjustments to lighting or settings, every 3rd or 4th shot i get an overexposed image. below is 2 examples that i just shot for this post

sample1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"I'll test with some incandescent lighting since it's continuos."

You can try that but it will not help. Your problem is not light flicker.  You have a correct exposure and then you have an over exposure, by several stops.  If light flicker is happening the light flickers off, not brighter.  Which is what you would need to get an over exposure. A two second SS will see the same amount of flickers anyway! 

Since you are shooting at f32, I will bet the lens is not closing all the way down to f32 on the over exposure. This could be due to a faulty lens and is almost the only way your problem can happen.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

TurtleDownUnder
Contributor

I'm have exactly the same problem.  I posted about it earlier today 'problems with exposure'.

The exact same settings, same field of view/subject/background and one turns out fine then completely over-exposed.

I'll be following this thread to see if there's a fix, because I'm throwing away a ton of photos at the moment.

Eamonn
Apprentice

We are experiencing the same problem i.e. shooting the same subject in the same lighting - some shots are OK but others are grossly overexposed. we're working in a childrens medical setting and can't afford not to have confidence in our equipment.

"If you fire the shutter at the moment when the solid state light source is dark, then you may wind up with an over exposure."

Of course this is wrong. If you could fire when the "flicker" is "dark", you would get an underexposure. Not over exposure. If the theory is less light, dark, during a flicker.

For you new to the thread folks, first make sure your lens is working properly. If the lens didn't stop down as far as you have if set, I.E. you set f8 and it only closed to f4, you will get an overexposure. This is the most logical cause but not the only answer for sure.

EB

My camera it didn’t matter which lens I was using, that was my first thought. Camera is at Canon service now for a calibration, not sure if that will fix the problem but that’s what they said it needed. $179.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Okay in your case that is where it needs to be.
You have a 5D Mk 4?
EB

Yes my camera is The 5d mark IV

We've had this happen with at least 2 cameras - one was a new one that we recently bought because we thought the older Mk-iii was faulty. So in fact it's happening on Mk-iii bodies and Mk-iv bodies - perhaps the flash is at fault? - again we've tried ex600 and ex580 flash units and still had this issue. We also tend to use dedicated OC cords rather than connecting directly to the hot shoe (we need to as that's to do with the nature of our photography) Again we've replaced the cords and still experienced the problem.

Are you using a Sigma lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Eamonn wrote:

We've had this happen with at least 2 cameras - one was a new one that we recently bought because we thought the older Mk-iii was faulty. So in fact it's happening on Mk-iii bodies and Mk-iv bodies - perhaps the flash is at fault? - again we've tried ex600 and ex580 flash units and still had this issue. We also tend to use dedicated OC cords rather than connecting directly to the hot shoe (we need to as that's to do with the nature of our photography) Again we've replaced the cords and still experienced the problem.

This is confusing.  You need to start your own thread for your issue, instead of piggy backing onto an old thread.  Thank-you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I know that this is an old but recurring thread, but I am having the same problem (in the UK). I have two Canon cameras, a 7D mk2 (absolutely no issues) and a 5D mk4. I have different Canon lenses and experience the same problem whatever the lens, in fact I have swopped lenses, changed batteries and cards, all with no effect. Virtually all my photos are taken outdoors. I can take consecutive photos of the same subject without changing the settings and have one photo which is perfectly fine and the next which is horribly exposed. I notice that the speed goes up to 1/8000 and will not reduce. I sent the camera back to Canon and it was returned (I was out of warranty, just) but no difference, same problem still. I thought that I was going mad until I read these posts. I am getting to the point where I cannot use the 5D because it is so unreliable, very disappointed.

Announcements