cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III tethering to Lightroom

lkeeney
Contributor

Is there a way to shoot with my 5D Mark III tethered to Lightroom on a Windows 8 computer and transfer only jpg images to Lightroom, and write the RAW files to the SD card?

Lawrence

30 REPLIES 30

Bob from Boston,

I suppose, I should say that is the way it works on a 1D Mk IV.  I am guessing it is the same with a 5D Mk III.  But you could try and make sure.  The real key is, most people don't use, is a powered USB cabel.  Probably because they have never heard of one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

lkeeney
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I photograph a lot of ballet dancers in the studio doing jump shots. These dancers are very particular about the poses captured on the camera, and want each one to be perfect. They love the fact they can see the image on a large monitor as soon as I take the shot.

In the past I have been using top-of-the-lineOlympus cameras, and I spent a lot of time working out a system where the image would be displayed within 6 seconds. I found if the transfer delay was any more than this, the clients got a little frustrated waiting for the image to be displayed. I only got this relatively fast response by transferring only a jpg image.

I always transferred my RAW images to two seperate network connected storage units (one HP Smart Server and one Drobo) immediately  following the photo shoot.

Now that I am switching to Canon I just wanted to get a similar, or faster, transfer speed. I am not sold on using Lightroom to display my images, and if the Canon software is faster, this is what I will use.

I just fugured that transferring the jpg only would be my only options to get a trasfer  speed of 6 seconds or faster. I could wait intil tomorrow until my camera arrives and do a lot of trial and error testing, but I thought someone who has already done this could tell me in a few minutes how it is done.

Just install EOS Utility 3.  It's far, far faster than Lightroom.  I'm an avid user of Lightroom, and I wish the tethering were better because I'd prefer to use it.  But I use EOS Utility for tethering, always.

As Bob noted, we just recently found out that they disabled the ability to record to camera and computer in the new version for some odd reason.  So if this really bothers you then I recommend getting the older 2.xx version. 

As to the powered cable.  I've shot 10s of thousands of pics using EOS Utility and I've never had a single file corrupted.  I use a standard USB to mini cable, like the one that came with the camera, and a cheapo 15 foor USB extender - putting me at close to 20 ft.  Never had a single problem.  Using a powered cable is unneccsary for these short lengths, IMHO.

Thanks for the tip on getting the older version of the software.. Hopefully I can find a copy of the older version.

@lkeeney wrote:
Thanks for the tip on getting the older version of the software.. Hopefully I can find a copy of the older version.

The older version is still readily available; the newer version is restricted to full-frame cameras and runs only under 64-bit operating systems. Actually, the older version is included in an installation of the newer version. It can then be invoked independently, as I described a day or two ago in another thread.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It should have been provided with your camera.  Depending on when you bought your 5d3, EOS ver 3 wasn't out yet.  Regardless, EOS 3 is currently only for full frame cameras - 1D, 5D, 6D.  So everyone else is using 2.xx, and I'd think they'd provide both copies with new FF cameras.

Shouldn't be hard to find, online but the difficulty may be installing it.  They use an "updater", instead of the full program which is only provided with new cameras.  The updater actually actually the entire program, but it looks for a registry from an older version, as a means of protecting against software piracy.  As if non-Canon users are trying to us EOS Utility.  There are simple ways around this, but it's silly, because you legally have the right to use the program.  

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_...

All of my  questions may seem a little odd as I have never used a Canon camera before, and the 5D Mark III I ordered is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

I guess I will just wait and see what software I receive, and hopefully the older version will come with the camera, and hopefully I can figure out how to install it. I was just thinking I could get a jump on learning how to tether my new camera before it arrived.

Congrats.  It's a great camera, enjoy it.

Thanks. I did a lot of research on the best camera for shooting fast action ballet in sometimes less than ideal lighting conditions, and I came to the conclusion that the 5D Mark III was the best camera (that I can afford) to do this type of photography. I just hope I made the right choice.

@lkeeney wrote:

Thanks. I did a lot of research on the best camera for shooting fast action ballet in sometimes less than ideal lighting conditions, and I came to the conclusion that the 5D Mark III was the best camera (that I can afford) to do this type of photography. I just hope I made the right choice.

Well, I won't get into a Nikon vs Canon vs Sony pissing match.  They all make great camera systems, each with their pros and cons.  But the 5d3 is certainly one of the best cameras on the market for such a use.  The low light performance is terrific and the AF very capable.  The 1Dx certainly is an impressive machine, but there's I don't know if it's the best bang for the buck for your type of work.  The 5d3 was the right call, IMHO.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements