cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III tethering to Lightroom

lkeeney
Contributor

Is there a way to shoot with my 5D Mark III tethered to Lightroom on a Windows 8 computer and transfer only jpg images to Lightroom, and write the RAW files to the SD card?

Lawrence

30 REPLIES 30

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Page 310 of manual. Not sure how it relates to Lightroom tethering.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thank you. I guess I will have to wait until my camera arrives to be able to read the manual.

@lkeeney wrote:

Thank you. I guess I will have to wait until my camera arrives to be able to read the manual.

The manuals for all Canon cameras are available on their Web site to be downloaded and read by anybody.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks. I didn't realize that. I will check it out.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there a way to shoot with my 5D Mark III tethered to Lightroom on a Windows 8 computer and transfer only jpg images to Lightroom, and write the RAW files to the SD card?"

And the advantage or reason for doing this?  Aren't all the files going to wind up on the computer anyway?  Where I might add, they are much safer?  I thether to LR a lot especially when I do school yearbook group shots.  Personally, I prefer my files off the camera as soon as possibile.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Is there a way to shoot with my 5D Mark III tethered to Lightroom on a Windows 8 computer and transfer only jpg images to Lightroom, and write the RAW files to the SD card?"

And the advantage or reason for doing this?  Aren't all the files going to wind up on the computer anyway?  Where I might add, they are much safer?  I thether to LR a lot especially when I do school yearbook group shots.  Personally, I prefer my files off the camera as soon as possibile.

As a computer person, I agree with you, at least in principle. But I think the OP's position is that whatever else you do, it's best to capture the image as soon as possible and as close as possible to where it was formed. Sending it to the computer as well is great for redundancy, but sending it only to the computer involves a risk, however small, that it will be garbled in transit. That said, you're apt to notice it right away if something does go wrong. But it you used to be able to send the image to both places, why can't you do so anymore?

FWIW, I suspect that the answer may be that the computing power of the camera is somehow challenged by the extra transfer, thus slowing the process down.

Bob

Bob from Boston,

?  Smiley Frustrated

OK, leave them on the CF card and computer.  That should be as safe as it gets?

"EOS Utility > Preferences > Remote Shooting > Save also on the camera's memory card"

"... it will be garbled in transit."

OK, use a powered USB cabel.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I would assume that he's trying to speed up the time it takes to display the image in Lightroom.  The best way I've found to speed it up, is to not use lightroom.  EOS Utility is far faster at tethering.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

?  Smiley Frustrated

OK, leave them on the CF card and computer.  That should be as safe as it gets?

"EOS Utility > Preferences > Remote Shooting > Save also on the camera's memory card"

Well, yeah, but in another thread someone got Canon to admit that that option is not available in EOS Utility version 3. I assumed (perhaps erroneously) that this thread (i.e., using Lightroom instead) was started in reaction to that.

Bob
Announcements