cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility not seeing camera (MacOS Sonoma 14.6, EOS R7, Macbook M3 Pro)

profgrape
Apprentice

Hi all,

My Utility is unable to "see" my camera. It gives the dreaded "EOS WEBCAM UTILITY" screen and the camera shutter is non-responsive.

What's really weird about it is that worked when I first set it up yesterday (7/30). But after entering my subscription information, it stopped. And even if I logout, it still doesn't work. Also, it works fine on my Windows laptop.

Things I've tried:

1. Many reboots.

2. Many uninstall/reinstall.

3. Enabled legacy camera support. 

4. Running Image Capture to make sure it can access it camera; it can.

Any ideas I haven't tried yet?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi profgrape,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the EOS Webcam Utility. Looking at your list you tried a good portion of what we would recommend. There are a couple more things to check.

The first would be to try a different USB cable. Sometimes if a cable isn't working correctly it can get to the point where it has strong enough signal to connect to one program, but not another. If you are using a USB hub it would also be good to try plugging the USB directly into a port on the computer. Sometimes USB hubs don't provide enough power for a webcam signal.

Another thing is that if you have our import software installed make sure that is fully closed before connecting the camera. Sometimes if both the EOS Utility and the EOS Webcam Utility are both open at the same time it can cause a conflict and in that case the camera wouldn't connect to either software.

If the issue continues after checking those things are you seeing any errors on the camera or the computer, and if you are seeing an error message what does it say word for word? 

elevenjoe
Apprentice

I think I figured it out. Go to:

1. System Settings

2. Privacy & Security

3. Scroll past all the line items until you get to a seperate section at the bottom called Security. There you should see approval for App Store and identified developers. Click allow here. It worked for me.

Hope this helps!

Announcements