cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility not working after MacOS Update

AJRAV
Contributor

Hi team,

Since the MacOS update, Zoom, OBS, Google Meet, and other apps don't pick up EOS Webcam Utility as a webcam. 

When I open the EOS Webcam Utility app, I can see my camera feed in the "Default Scene" box and "Scenes" section, but that is about it.

I tried Google Meet, OBS, Zoom, and Teams as well. 

Before the update, even when the camera is not on, Zoom will pick up the EOS Webcam Utility software as a webcam and just show a not connected screen, this time Zoom doesn't even acknowledge the software. 

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 05.41.07.png

My OS version: 14.1.2 (23B92) 
Running on: Apple Silicon (M2) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJRAV
Contributor

I actually found a fix for this. This is because Apple released an update with Sonoma 14.1 that blocks legacy webcams. Canon needs to release an update ASAP.

In the meantime, follow the steps here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213969

This fixes the issue. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

This fix is no longer working after updating to Sonoma 14.2. I now just get the black "EOS WEBCAM UTILITY" screen. I no longer get a picture at all when I open the EOS Webcam Utility. Everything is still working fine on my Windows box.

I am still holding off on updating to 14.2 because of this. I heard Cascable Pro Webcam is a good solution, but it is a paid app, and it is 40$. I'm not sure if I really want to pay 40 bucks for software that Canon should keep up to date.

Same for me

@johnwastaken wrote:

This fix is no longer working after updating to Sonoma 14.2. I now just get the black "EOS WEBCAM UTILITY" screen. I no longer get a picture at all when I open the EOS Webcam Utility. Everything is still working fine on my Windows box.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Apple.  Apple breaks the existing codebase at least 3-4 times per year, each and every year without fail.  

Breaking your existing codebase is a cardinal sin when it comes to software development   I would compare it to eating the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden.  I am serious.  I’m not trying to make a joke.

The most immediate problem now seems to be a relicensing issue with software developers.  Apple seems to have developed a new set of code libraries specific to the use of external cameras.  

2266FF49-29DF-427E-908A-22A11994D611.jpeg

This cycle will repeat itself again and again. 

[EDIT]. Please observe and take note of the fact that Apple released a knowledge base article that provided a fix or work around the issue that they created.

And, then they promptly broke their own fix within a matter of weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements