cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility doesn't work with macOS Ventura

onderceylan
Contributor

Hi there,

I've recently upgraded to macOS 13 (Ventura) and EOS Webcam Utility doesn't work anymore. I tried both amd64 (EOS Webcam Utility 1.0) and arm64 (EOS Webcam Utility 1.1) versions, but none of them work properly.

EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 freezes, and EOS Webcam Utility 1.1 only works once after a system restart when camera is turned on and off a couple of times, but then system loses the connection with the device.

Please publish a fix of the software as soon as possible for your customers like me who are depending on the camera for their day to day work.

42 REPLIES 42

harmerj7
Contributor

I am on Sonoma 14.3 and it seems to only intermittently work for some reason.

raulcnadal
Contributor

Hey there,

I've found a good hint while testing latest recommended version 2.1.18 on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 and EOS 250D/Rebel SL3

raulcnadal_2-1716124203358.png

If you install latest versions (WebCam Utility Pro 2.1.18 and EOS Utility Pro 18.0.1 as of today) it won't make Webcam to work as is, like before.

I was getting just a black screen over any camera mode, like if EOS Webcam Utility Pro app were not able to really connect to camera thru USB.

Interesting that EOS Utility Pro worked fine from first try, and I could take remote shots without issues.

The trick I found to address the webcam issue was just by allowing the item in the background on macOS.
During installation you get prompts to allow several things within Privacy & Security settings (extension, etc) and a reboot or 2, but I found that app is not prompting me anytime to allow working in the background.

To address this, go to macOS Settings / General / Login Items, and look at the middle of the menu, where it says "Allow in the background", and locate the entry titled "Canon USA, Inc (2 items)", then click the switch to enable it. You will be prompted for admin password to do so.

raulcnadal_0-1716123855089.png 

raulcnadal_1-1716123928473.png

As soon as I allowed this, camera made its familiar "click" and image started appearing on Teams, Quicktime, Zoom and OBS without iissues.

I hope this can work for some of you, guys,

Kind Regards, 

onderceylan
Contributor

I gave up folks. This software creates lots of instability issues for my workspace, affecting my professional career.

I started to use my camera with an hdmi connection ana capture card and no issues after macOS upgrades so far. 

Announcements