cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility 2.0 Instructions Fail To Inform Users to Start Camera First

HansenJC
Contributor

I did not see any instructions for the EOS Webcam Utility 2.0 that specifically said to start the camera before the software. In fact the software reminds the users to make sure the camera is turned on, but that's already too late because the software is already running.
Trial and error allowed me to deduce that the camera must be connected and turned on before the software is turned on. The software is unable to connect to the camera when the camera is turned on after the utility is running.
This is one of several issues that I encountered when attempting to make maximum use of this utility. The documentation appears to me to have never been tested by users who would have surely provided feedback on this issue before I encountered it.

For the record, the operating system is Windows 11. Is it possible that the operating system has some influence over the functionality of the EOS Webcam Utility 2.0?

21 REPLIES 21

And suddenly today for no know reason, the issue is gone. The Webcam Utility is tolerant of the sequence of events that take place after turning on the computer, while yesterday and many other days previous, it seemed that turning on the camera first was the only sequence that would allow the Utility to recognize the camera. I cannot explain it.

Footnote: The USB cable had always been connected directly to the computer.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thats good.  Not restarting after installing the utility can cause the behavior you describe.  Glad its working now 👍  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements