cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading my Rebel T3

cebulas
Apprentice

Finally ready to upgrade my Rebel T3. Have lenses changed since the T3? As in, if I upgrade to a T7i, I could keep my lenses and just buy a body? Just an amateur here. Purchased a Samsung S10+ last year thinking it would become my new go to camera since my T3 just wasn't cutting it with picture quality anymore but my phone, while a great camera, is still not what a good DSLR could be. I know the T8i is coming soon but was hoping to buy one over the weekend. Open to suggestions. 

10 REPLIES 10

Any lens that works on the T3 will also work on the T7i. There are, of course, better lenses for the T7i, but yours will work.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I recommend the 77D camera kit with the EF-S 18-55mm STM lens in the Canon Refurbished Store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-77d-ef-s-18-55-is-stm-kit-refurbished 

Deals like that do not last long sometimes.  They have been known to sell out of a given item.  For example, they appear to be completely sold out of T7i bodies.  It is not even listed, anymore.  It may come back, but I would not count on it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

First off Wadizzle knows his stuff <<<

The T8i is 3 yrs newer than the 77D.  (Disclosure, Rick doesn't like "old' tech)

You've waited this long, waiting till April for the T8i might be worth it. 

You'll pay more yes, but its newer and will be supported longer. 

Side by side you won't notice any difference in picture quality or ability. The only bump is 4k video, but its limited to 24p, so the 2K on the 77D is probably what you'll use most of the time. 

You can save money and either camera will be a huge upgrade coming from your current body.  I purposely didn't buy a 5D4 at christmas.  Sales were incredible, but its 3 yrs old, no articulating screen and new stuff is coming this year.  Maybe even a 5D5.  (I can hope) 

You however, only have to wait 60 days and you already have a working camera.    

I'd place my order on B&H right now.  and start the countdown.  They'll get them first and you'll get one from the first batch.  But that's just me.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

First off Wadizzle knows his stuff <<<

The T8i is 3 yrs newer than the 77D.  (Disclosure, Rick doesn't like "old' tech)

You've waited this long, waiting till April for the T8i might be worth it. 

You'll pay more yes, but its newer and will be supported longer. 

Side by side you won't notice any difference in picture quality or ability. The only bump is 4k video, but its limited to 24p, so the 2K on the 77D is probably what you'll use most of the time. 

You can save money and either camera will be a huge upgrade coming from your current body.  I purposely didn't buy a 5D4 at christmas.  Sales were incredible, but its 3 yrs old, no articulating screen and new stuff is coming this year.  Maybe even a 5D5.  (I can hope) 

You however, only have to wait 60 days and you already have a working camera.    

I'd place my order on B&H right now.  and start the countdown.  They'll get them first and you'll get one from the first batch.  But that's just me.  

Thanks.  

I think the T8i is pretty much the same camera as the T7i, except they gave it the rear panel of the 77D.  In other words, they added the rear rotary dial, which the T7i lacked. I would still prefer the 77D, because of the top LCD screen.  The T8i has the same sensor and tilt-swivel rear screen.

It is almost as if they took the the main body of a 77D, and combined it with the top assembly of a T7i.

"Deals like that do not last long sometimes."

Cheap is not always cheap in the long run.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I recommend the 77D camera..."

I don't.  The 77D is a camera that didn't need to be. I do like Rick's idea of checking out the T8i.  If not check out the T7i.  If you feel you want a bigger upgrade check out the 90D.  You have an outdated camera so why in the world would you buy another outdated camera like the 77D.  Let the 77D die a peaceful quite death. Remember newer tech usually wins the game.

EB

cebulas
Apprentice
What about the SL3? I only do photography for myself (family & vacation) so I don't need all the extra but do want wifi/bluetooth capability and would really like a swivel screen which the SL3 offers for a much lower price then the T7i/8i.

@cebulas wrote:
What about the SL3? I only do photography for myself (family & vacation) so I don't need all the extra but do want wifi/bluetooth capability and would really like a swivel screen which the SL3 offers for a much lower price then the T7i/8i.

I figured that the T7i and T8i May have been a little beyond your budget.  The SL3 is a great camera.  I think it is a bit more compact than your T3.  I suggest that you look at images of it, and compare it to your T3.  See if you like the button layout.  Some users have complained about the hot shoe for a flash having been crippled.

There is nothing wrong with the 77D.  It is a better camera than the T7i.  

The "newer" T8i seems to use the same parts and features from both the T7i and T8i.  Canon says it has a new CPU, but the specs are the same as the older cameras.  The main difference is that the other bodies have 45 AF points, while the SL3 has 9 AF points like your T3.  I would advise the refurbished 77D over the SL3.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I am a go for the SL3 for you. Sounds like a great fit.
Just because there isn’t any thing wrong with the 77D does not in any way make it right for you. It isn’t!
EB
Announcements