cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought a Canon T7

snapshots
Contributor

Hi all,

I just purchased a starter camera. (Canon T7)  It has two lenses that came with.  The 18mm-55mm which has IS, and a 70mm-300 that does not.  I like to take senic landscape photos, nature, and just about anything that catches my eye.  What would be the next logical lens for me to buy as an upgrade?  I was looking at two lenses.  One is the 18mm-135mm the other is the 70mm-300m with IS.  Do you think they are decent choices?  Is there another lens I should look at?  Keep in mind I am on a budget of about $500.  Thanks so much for reading.

Earl

33 REPLIES 33

I am not familiar with the model numbers for canon lenses but I will get familiar. Thanks for sharing the link to the videos. I will watch them.

@snapshots wrote:
I am not familiar with the model numbers for canon lenses but I will get familiar. Thanks for sharing the link to the videos. I will watch them.

Check out the two video series at the ink i provided.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I will definitely watch the videos. Thank you.

I find myself using the apeture priority mode the most so far.  I really bought the camera for a work trip I took to Alaska back in Feburary.  Mostly pictures of the sencery.  Maybe I can post some to what you'll think?

I am sure everybody here has different opinons about how to go about learning this stuff.  I came here because I'm sure you folks can offer some great information and advice.  I appreciate it all.   Also, I don't see a link to post photos in the share your photo section?  Maybe I'm too new to be able to post pictures yet?  LOL.

Sure, up above is a "Share your Photos" section of the board. Note that if your images are full size out of the camera, you will have to shrink them a bit to fit the forum guidelines.

Thank you very much. I will try it

"Maybe I can post some to what you'll think?"

Please do. Smiley Happy

Do you post edit at all?  You need to for several reasons not just to be able to post on web forums but ti get the best out of each shot.  You can d/l a good post editor from Canon. It is free and called DPP4.

Just like I advised to not over think simple shots, don't over do post editing.  Sometimes less is more. You don't have to make something that is easy much harder but you can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi, I am very to new to this. So I have not really edited any photos other basic cropping and such. I did download DPP4. It looks pretty complicated. don't you have to photos in Raw mode to use that?

"don't you have to photos in Raw mode to use that?"

Whether you do or don't have to, you should. Raw format gives you a greater latitude of editing abilities than jpg does. Using jpg you are throwing away some of your cameras ability to capture all it can. Raw is a seamless format when you use DPP4 or Lightroom (preferred) editors.

If all you intend to do is send aunt Martha some email photos or post on the ole inner web, than jpg is just fine. But if you want the best quality, you need to use Raw.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements