cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which focus mode to use on Canon R5 for two birds feeding each other

OksanaS
Apprentice

Hi there. I have Canon R5 with RF 100-500 lens. I was trying to take a picture of two Nuttall's Woodpeckers feeding each other but I failed to get a clear shot. not sure which settings to use for such situations. any professional advise is greatly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Oksana and welcome to the forum:

Honestly, much depends on the specific conditions at the time.  What precisely do you mean when you say you didn't get a clear shot?  Perhaps upload a sample image and you exposure (EXIF) data so it gives us something to work with. 
All that said, if the birds are not actively in flight, then the thing you most likely want to control is the focus - getting the subjects to stand out from the background, for which I would recommend Av Mode, and set the ISO at Auto.
Getting the birds in focus is critical and you need to be careful of using all points, this is where Animal Eye focus would come in handy, as it should lock focus on one of the birds.  While you are doing so, just keep an eye on the shutter speed to make sure it is dropping below 1/250sec.
This is all without looking at the specific issues of your images, we can be more specific if you can provide one or more samples and especially with the EXIF data.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements