cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to find out with serial number to verify whether my dslr is genuine or not?

dextorque
Apprentice

where to find out with serial number to verify whether my dslr is genuine or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey guys!

The following information can be found at https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/gray_market

Information on Parallel or "Gray Market" Products

Canon sells and supports Canon-brand consumer and professional products in the U.S. through Canon U.S.A., which distributes these products through its authorized dealers and distributors. Canon U.S.A. is the only authorized importer of these products in the U.S., and provides industry-leading customer service and support for them. Products distributed by Canon U.S.A. are "localized" to meet the needs of customers in the U.S. market and are engineered to comply with local safety regulations and governmental requirements. As such, these products come with different accessories, manuals, and warranties than the versions intended for sale in other global regions such as Asia. Any Canon-brand products which are imported and sold other than by this method are referred to as "parallel," or "Gray Market," products (collectively, "Gray Market Products").

Hazards and Difficulties Associated with "Gray Market" Products

Customers in the U.S. may find that Gray Market Products do not meet their expectations because they were not intended by Canon for sale in the U.S. In some cases, sellers of Gray Market Products may attempt to localize the products themselves by adding, changing or removing certain accessories from the products, which may result in the following:

• including in product packaging illegal or counterfeit accessories, such as batteries, chargers, and ink tanks, which can cause injury and seriously damage your Canon product;
  • an incorrect power cord or adapter which was not provided, or quality checked, by Canon;
  • incorrect software or illegal copies of software which may not function;
  • poor photocopies of the original manual;
  • a fake Canon U.S. warranty, a warranty provided by a third party, or no warranty at all; and
  • a device with a serial number which cannot be registered with Canon in the U.S.

Customers should also be aware that Gray Market Products may not be eligible for:

• coverage under a U.S. warranty;
  • U.S. promotions, including mail-in and instant rebates; and
  • technical support

If you are in doubt about a seller, or whether the products it sells are intended for the U.S., please visit http://usa.canon.com/authorizeddealers for a list of Canon U.S.A.'s Authorized Dealers. New and genuine Canon products intended for sale in the U.S. can only be purchased from Canon Authorized Dealers in the U.S. or from Canon U.S.A. directly.

To learn more about counterfeit products, please visit http://usa.canon.com/aboutcounterfeits to view important information.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

OOPS!

blanca12
Contributor

This tells you if it has a US/Canada warranty and would be serviceable at service centers here.  "Import" versions usually aren't covered by the US/Canada warranty.  Some stores will "import" cameras via their own channels and sell them at a slight savings.  The reputable stores will disclose whether it's the "USA" versions vs. the "Import" version.

Birder27
Apprentice
I'm considering a used camera on eBay. Robert's Camera sent me the serial number, but claims not to know if it's Gray market

@Birder27 wrote:
I'm considering a used camera on eBay. Robert's Camera sent me the serial number, but claims not to know if it's Gray market

That is correct. Only Canon can tell you if the serial number is for a "Grey Market" camera. 

"Grey Market" just means that there is no Canon Warranty with that camera.  There is no difference in the actual camera as it is manufactured in the same factory to the same specs. It is the same camera. 

The Canon Warranty is only one year. When buying a used camera, I wouldn't think there would be a Canon Warranty available.  Canon warranty is supposed to be non-transferable,  but in practice Canon will generally honor the 1 year warranty if you provide the original bill of sale for the camera. 

I am sure Robert's camera does not have the original bill of sale so it doesn't mater whether or not it is "Grey Market".

Mike Sowsun

"There is no difference in the actual camera as it is manufactured in the same factory to the same specs. It is the same camera."

I am not saying the Roberts camera is different even if it is a grey market body but there can be and I have seen differences. One body I saw didn't have English menus for example. Possibly FW would correct that? I don't know.  I don't know if Canon USA would even supply a new FW for you.  They certainly would not be obligated to.

Roberts is a fine retailer so I would not worry about buying from them. I have dealt with them for years.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

By knowing which model would be helpful, anyway several recent models with tiltable or fully articulated rear display has the label with serial on the back/inner part of the display and you need to tilt or rotate the display in order to see it.

Birder27
Apprentice
Thanks for your timely response. This is a major , major purchase, so I don't want to have problems. I always read and hear to buy only US warranty cameras. Thanks again.

Buying "Grey Market" gets an unnecessary bad rap.  It is a trade off between price, and possible inconvenience. 

If the camera needs warranty within the first year, "Grey Market" equipment will still get repaired under warranty.  The only difference is who does that warranty work, and then how convenient, and and how quickly the warranty process is.  

I have been buying and using Canon camera equipment for just over 40 years.  I have never needed to use use the Canon Warranty because I have NEVER has anything fail in the first year.   

In the end, it is nice to have choices, and for many saving money takes priority over convenience.  

Mike Sowsun

Birder27
Apprentice
Thanks for your input.

From what I was told a long time ago but don't remember the circumstance but it was related to either electronics or camera type things. When marketing (in this case cameras & lenses) in a market area (Canada & the US) a portion of the sale price goes into the warranty fund. Items bought in other markets didn't contribute to the fund & therefore they are not covered by it. It's a simple premise but sounds very logical considering markets are very different around the world especially when it comes to labour costs. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements