cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t5i camera.. when i press the shutter button down, the lens just goes in and out and wont focus

steveandmendy
Apprentice

T5I camera...when i push the shutter button down, the lens just goes in and out and wont focus. My older ti camera did the same thing and i was told something was wrong with my camera. Evidently not true. I have 4 different lenses and the same thing happenswith all of them.. Not sure whats wrong

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority
It sounds like it is hunting for focus. Consumer level cameras sometimes have difficulty achieving focus in dim light, even when it does not seem all that dim to you. I will bet that it does not do this outside on a bright sunny day.

That can be frustrating, but there is not all that much you can do about it.

What focus mode are you in? Don't use ai servo unless tracking a moving target. Use ai focus or one shot. That may keep it from hunting so much.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you,  we were in the Local desert at a race, perfect morning, no clouds. I will check the settings and let you know!!

Thank you again for your response

Steve

could the lenses themselves be a problem.. as in dirty? or would it be a camera issue only?

What were you trying to focus on? Camera needes something with contrast to lock on to. If its just sand and sky you may not have had a suitable subject.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

What were you trying to focus on? Camera needes something with contrast to lock on to. If its just sand and sky you may not have had a suitable subject.

That sounds right. I had a confirming experience a few years ago when I bought my 50D. When I have a choice, I like to pose as a seascape photographer, so I got on the subway and rode out to a harborside park to try the camera out. It was a hazy day, and I had the devil's own time trying to get it to focus on infinity, though nearby objects (rocks, picnic tables, etc.) presented no problem. It wasn't until sometime later that I realized that there was nothing wrong with the camera or the lens; the background of the scene just didn't have enough contrast to be auto-focused on.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ScottyP
Authority
No way 4 lenses on 2 cameras doing same thing is dirty lens problem.

Check the autofocus modes as above.

Also, are you shooting the standard way with your eye looking through the eyecup on the viewfinder? If you are instead shooting using the LCD screen (live view) the camera will also struggle and hunt a bit more to focus.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ezpop
Rising Star

If AF won't work in a situation when there is little or no contrast, try manual fcous. And use liveview with magnification to check if things are in focus and then press the shutter.

This is just for emergency if the lens keep hunting and you want to take a pic.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... i was told something was wrong with my camera. ..."

"... I have 4 different lenses and the same thing happenswith all of them. ..."

"... Not sure whats wrong ..."

Yes, it is the camera.  Although I admit it seems ironic since you say two bodies do this.  A very easy way to find out.  Try the combo in a well lighted normal scene area and see if they work.  Whether the camera is faulty or you have an improper setting is where you should start looking.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements