cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"lost connection" using canon utilty and eos r

Gino-Mazzaferro
Contributor

I just purchased an eos R. The camera seems to work fine, but I am having a great deal of trouble tethering to the Canon Utility. The software finds the camera but after a few minutes I get a "lost connection" message. The camera has the latest firmware (1.8.0) and I have the latest version of Canon Utility. I am using a windows computer.  At first I thought the connectors on the cable were getting loose, but I kept the camera and computer stationary, to try to determine if it was a cable issue. (I am using a third party cable.) Again "lost connection"
I tried tethering in Lightroom, but the same thing keeps occurring,... the camera and the computer lose communication.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have no trouble tethering my 5d4 to the same computer and software.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gino-Mazzaferro
Contributor

So the IFC-100U cable arrived. And it works great!. No more lost connection. Thank you all for your advice

Gino

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings Gino-Mazzaferro,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a USB connection issue between your EOS R camera and your computer running Windows. You have performed many of the troubleshooting steps that we would have suggested like ensuring the camera is not being moved while it's connected and testing to see that a different camera doesn't experience this issue.

Please check to see if there may be any security software or security settings on the computer that may be blocking the connection to that specific EOS R camera.

I would also suggest to disable the camera's Wi-Fi function through its menu prior to connecting the camera to your computer. If possible, please test a different USB cable as well as seeing if the camera is able to maintain a connection with a different computer.

For further assistance you may also call our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Along with NatalyaP's recommendation to try a different cable, be sure the cable you are using is a HighSpeed USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 compatible cable. I had connection issues with my 1D X Mark III until I started using a HighSpeed cable.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Gino-Mazzaferro
Contributor

Thanks for all your ideas. The camera did not come with a cable. I decided to order an official Canon cable. I'm waiting for that to arrive. I am hopeful that the new cable will be the solution. 

IFC-100U works for my camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Gino-Mazzaferro
Contributor

jrhoffman75: did you use an extension cable also, such as tether tools, with success? The one meter length of the IFC-100U is not really viable for tethered shooting. Thx in advance
Gino

Tether Tools 15ft cable is OK. If you need longer you need the booster cable as well. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Gino-Mazzaferro
Contributor

So the IFC-100U cable arrived. And it works great!. No more lost connection. Thank you all for your advice

Gino

Announcements