cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems importing to iPhoto, LR and PS

AMO10022
Apprentice
What are my options? Upgrade LR? Or choose another such as Capture One?
20 REPLIES 20

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you cannot import to any of those products, first verify that the software version of each item supports your camera. 

How are you trying to import? Can you download files from camera/card to a folder on your desktop ( so we at least know that communication between camera and computer is OK)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

AMO10022
Apprentice
I have LR 5--that may be my problem

LR 5 does not get the benefit of the latest ACR updates.  Could be the problem but I think LR would still import them.  Just not let you see them.  I could be wrong about that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AMO10022
Apprentice
You could be correct. But if I can't see my pics, why bother.
What do you know about Capture One Pro?

Sorry, nothing.  I use PS and LR exclusively.

You know Canon does not reveal any data on it CR2 files.  All 3rd party software 'guess' at how they do it.  If you prefer the Capture One look over LR I 'guess' you should go with it.  Keeping with that thought I 'guess' DPP4 is really the only one that does it exactly how Canon intended.  It is free!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You know Canon does not reveal any data on it CR2 files.  All 3rd party software 'guess' at how they do it.  If you prefer the Capture One look over LR I 'guess' you should go with it.  Keeping with that thought I 'guess' DPP4 is really the only one that does it exactly how Canon intended.  It is free!

Are you certain that Canon does not work with Adobe to ensure that Adobe products will be able to read Canon files? I can't imagine that any manufacturer of digital cameras would want to have a format that no one else's software could read, especially Adobe's LR and PS.

As far as DPP4 being the "only one" that handles Canon's new .cr2 format, that is not the case. Photo Mechanic 5 can open the Mark IV .cr2 format and export as JPEG, .PSD, or TIFF. I can't speak for Capture One Pro.

Be warned, however, that in my limited experience with converted TIFFs from the Mark IV I have seen an edited TIFF as large as 600MB—without layers! Openened from Lr to Photoshop and saved again and it went down to 180MB. Don't know what's up with that.

"Be warned, however, that in my limited experience with converted TIFFs from the Mark IV I have seen an edited TIFF as large as 600MB—without layers! Openened from Lr to Photoshop and saved again and it went down to 180MB. Don't know what's up with that."

I think that is called a "work in progress."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Are you certain that Canon does not work with Adobe ..."

This is common knowledge. Canon does not share and it is easy to see why.  They also don't share how the IS or AF works in their cameras/lenses.  These are known as trade secrets.

"As far as DPP4 being the "only one" that handles Canon's new .cr2 format,..."

You missed the point.  It is not that other or even many softwares can open a CR2 file, DPP4 is the only one that uses Canon's 'own' routines. No other software does that.  They can't.  This is why all of them seem to have differing results.

EB

"I have seen an edited TIFF as large as 600MB ..."

Is there a point here?  If so I missed it completely. Tiff files from my 1D Mk IV exceed 300mb routinely. It is only 16mp.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I have seen an edited TIFF as large as 600MB ..."

Is there a point here?  If so I missed it completely. Tiff files from my 1D Mk IV exceed 300mb routinely. It is only 16mp.

I think the point is that if LR and PS can't read the 5D4's CR2 format, one has to use DPP to convert a CR2 file into a file format that LR and PS can read. And the only option that doesn't cause significant data loss is a TIFF.

Functionally, DPP may be an acceptable substitute for LR; but if your workflow is tied into LR's database system, that fact may be small consolation. And if you need the special capabilities of PS, you're likely stuck with processing an enormous TIFF file.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements