cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is the swivel screen on the 80d replaceable?

SeizeTheKarp
Apprentice

so my camera took a spill the other day while filming and ive dented the corner of the frame for my lcd. is the frame replaceable or is the entire lcd replaceable? i cant put a screen protector on it at the momment. id really hate to use my protection plan 3 weeks into owning the camera sice the screen still works and all

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@SeizeTheKarp wrote:

so my camera took a spill the other day while filming and ive dented the corner of the frame for my lcd. is the frame replaceable or is the entire lcd replaceable? i cant put a screen protector on it at the momment. id really hate to use my protection plan 3 weeks into owning the camera sice the screen still works and all

I don't think the regular warranty covers drops.  Contact Canon Service for repair costs.

If you have the "accident" warranty, or whatever Canon calls it, then let Canon fix it.

But, if your camera is less than 30 days old, and you don't have the accidental warranty, then you may still be able to purchase the one.  Just don't tell them that you have already dropped the camera, and wait a little bit before you try to make a claim.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ive got smart guard protection on it but if they determine that its easier to replace it than fix it there goes my plan. ive checked various parts sources an no one sells the frame thats why i was checking if its possible in the first place

@SeizeTheKarp wrote:

ive got smart guard protection on it but if they determine that its easier to replace it than fix it there goes my plan. ive checked various parts sources an no one sells the frame thats why i was checking if its possible in the first place

I guess you have a delimma on your hands.  Cash in on your "smart guard protection", or continue using a busted camera.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@SeizeTheKarp wrote:

I guess you have a delimma on your hands.  Cash in on your "smart guard protection", or continue using a busted camera.

Is the smart guard protection a one-shot thing? Usually one expects an insurance plan to cover a specific period of time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@SeizeTheKarp wrote:

Is the smart guard protection a one-shot thing? Usually one expects an insurance plan to cover a specific period of time.

When the extended service contracts first gained popularity in the 1990s, yes, it was a "one shot" thing.  Your gear was only allowed to "die" one time, sort of like life insurance. 

the only thing that is damaged is the frame around the lcd. i just need to find that part and i can fix the thing myself. 

@SeizeTheKarp wrote:

the only thing that is damaged is the frame around the lcd. i just need to find that part and i can fix the thing myself. 

There are dozens and dozens of individual parts that go into a assembling a DSLR.  Like auto manufacturers, it is inefficient for manufacturers.to stock and sell all of the individual parts.  It is far more efficient to stock and sell groups of ppre-assemble parts, or "assemblies", like a headlight assembly for an automobile.

In other words, I'm guessing that it is unlikely that you can find just the frame around the LCD.  It is more likely that you will only find the entire LCD assembly for sale.  It is likely that you will only find in a form that includes a portion of the back panel of the camera body, too.  This is true of the LCD on the top panenl, which seem to only be available as the entire top assembly that covers the entire top of the camera.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@SeizeTheKarp wrote:

Get the camera repaired under the protection plan. Unless you plan on continuing to use your camera as a basketball. Then I would wait. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Any camera that is dropped and,"ive dented the corner of the frame for my lcd", probably should go to Canon for a check up.  Damage can be concealed and show up later when you least want it to.

However, don't lie to them.  Tell then exactly what happened.  Truth is always the best policy and most honorable.  If need be pony up for the repair.  After all it was your fault.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements