cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help ! Canon M100 keeps creating folder every 100 photos

zyclonenuz
Contributor

hello everyone ! not sure where to post this but I do hope I'm on the right section. oh and sorry for my poor English.

anyway i just recently bought a canon M100. I don't know what is up but every time my stored photo on the sd card reaches 100 it creates another folder. I've checked the settings/menu and I've set the "create folder" is on Monthly.  can anyone help me out ?

here is the screenshot f443434.png

11 REPLIES 11

lly3988
Rising Star

Do you have the user manual ?

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300027770/01/eosm100-um-en.pdf

You have choice to set the folder and file numbering method.

capture-20180327-082153.png

hi lly3988! yes that is the current setting of my camera now. IMG20180327204419.jpg

Do you remove the SD card and reuse it without deleting the old folders?  If you do the camera will make a new folder each time.  Folders should start over at 9999 shots.  Also if the folder number reaches 999 the camera will not shoot at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

oh i dont remove the sd card and i barely delete the files in it and folder.  the only time i delete files if if the sd card is already full.

my old camera canon G15 doesnt do this and yeah i think it was around 1000 pictures before it creates another folder.

edit
i tried using a new sd card and same result.

@zyclonenuz

oh i dont remove the sd card and i barely delete the files in it and folder.  the only time i delete files if if the sd card is already full.

This is not a good practice. Much better to download the files after each session and reformat the card before using the camera again. Deleting the files in-camera has caused problems for some people.

oh ok. thanks for the tip.

"Much better to download the files after each session and reformat the card ..."

This not just good advice, it is great advice.  I think the practice of storing pics comes from people that use their cameras like they use their smartphones.  But it does depend on how you intend to use your camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

"Much better to download the files after each session and reformat the card ..."

This not just good advice, it is great advice.  I think the practice of storing pics comes from people that use their cameras like they use their smartphones.  But it does depend on how you intend to use your camera.

Erasing not enough?  Do the actual FORMAT each time?

@ebiggs1wrote:

oh for me the reason why i dont really delete photos from sd card before is due to 2 bad experience.

1. i accidentally deleted the wrong folder and i wasn't able to recover the files. so it takes weeks of a month before i delete them just to make sure.

2. my hard drive died (seagate) on me a few days after i transfer my files from the sd card and i wasn't able to recover my files.

but now ill erase/format everytime i upload photos to my pc since i already have a portable drive and google drive. lol !

Announcements