cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 99 when using neewer fc-16 transmitter

mjc3333
Apprentice

I have an older Canon Rebel from 2003 that I am trying to use with a multiple flash setup. I have a Neewer FC-16 setup with 1 transmitter and 2 receivers. When I try to use the transmitter connected to the hotshoe on the camera, it sends the error 99 code to the camera. If I remove the transmitter and turn the camera back on, everthing is fine. Is there some special setting to make the transmitter work, and not throw the error 99 code??

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You need to talk to Neewer.  Sometimes a device on the hot shoe must be turned on before you turn on the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have not tried to use that particular combo but I would stop using it immediately until you get exact instructions. It may never work and could possibly damage the old Rebel. The camera doesn't like something and is trying to tell you. Canon won't help you with that combo either!

I have a friend with a Nikon that tried to get a Neewer FC-16 to work  and never could.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

mjc3333
Apprentice
What combo have you used that works? I just need a wireless trans/rec setup for 2 speedlite flashes. I realize the "cheaper" units only send a signal to the receivers to make the flash go off. All settings are manual on the camera and the flashes.

@mjc3333 wrote:
What combo have you used that works? I just need a wireless trans/rec setup for 2 speedlite flashes. I realize the "cheaper" units only send a signal to the receivers to make the flash go off. All settings are manual on the camera and the flashes.

Ernie is right.  That transmitter may damage your camera.  Without know what “2 specific flashes” you have, no one can advise you on what to do.  I know Canon is the best brand to use.  I have heard mixed reviews on Yungnuo.  Radio works batter than light signals.

mjc3333
Apprentice
I have two Neewer 565EX-E-TTL speedlite flashes. They both work on the camera on the hot shoe as individual flashes.

@mjc3333 wrote:
I have two Neewer 565EX-E-TTL speedlite flashes. They both work on the camera on the hot shoe as individual flashes.

You need to contact Neewer.  Canon is not responsib le for making third party gear work with Canon gear.

It is always best to stick with Canon brand no matter what add on gear you want to use. 

"Canon Rebel from 2003"

What Rebel?  It may not have the firmware designed to work with what you are trying to do. That was the buddies problem with his Nikon not working with it.

I have used all types, always Canon, and what you were told, wireless radio is best, by far.

"You need to contact Neewer.  Canon is not responsib le for making third party gear work with Canon gear."

"Radio works batter than light signals."

EB

mjc3333
Apprentice
Canon Rebel DS6041. I think it was the very first EOS digital rebel canon produced. I am not going to try to use the fc-16 wireless. Does anyone know a cannon wireless setup that would work?

Wow, that is an oldie! I have never used one, so that's right up front but I am also going to say the old boy won't support a wireless transmitter set up.

EB
Announcements