cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility downloading duplicate photos from dual cards in EOS 5D Mark IV

rvd1000
Contributor

Hi there,

I just updated the 5d mar IV with an extra card, so that it now has 2 cards installed.

I set up the cards so they work as backup (the 5d saves the same image to both cards).

My issue is when plugging the 5d into the usb and eos utility opens and I import new images: it imports each image twice (once from each card, and with unique file-names, as if it was 2 different images).

Is there some way I can change this behavior, such that eos utility will import only from one card automatically and skip the duplicates on the other card?

Basically I would like the import to behave similar to how it did when using one card only. I only use the second card as a safety backup, so I am not sure why it saves the same image to both cards as if they were 2 different images (I expected it to save the snapped image to both cards using the same file-name on both cards, and then only import the image once.)

I have looked for settings in eos utility to set this behavior but can't find any.

On the 5d I set it to record to multiple and playback from slot 1.

Any tips on how to avoid importing the duplicates from the second card when using auto-import in eos utility?

I can't be the only one having this issue, one would think....

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not sure what the problem is. Just select the card you want to download from:

Screenshot 2022-12-12 094842.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

@rvd1000 wrote:

The point you are missing is that no one wants to have these kind of duplicates created on their PC...

No one is missing that point. Whenever one selects a simplified “Automatic” approach there will be compromises. Auto ISO won’t let you select the ISO you want. Auto Exposure won’t let you select the Tv/Av combination you want. 

As Rick pointed out there are many possible recording combinations, including various modes on the same two cards. Today I want RAW+JPEG. Tomorrow a critical shout where I want RAW+RAW etc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

dooferorg
Apprentice

I found this topic and it's incredible this issue still isn't fixed. For the apologists suggesting workarounds etc it's laughable. As a programmer I know that user experience and expectations are fundamental to good software design.

If you do 'automatic' download from the camera and there's two cards the software SHOULD be smart enough to only copy from one of the cards if the filenames are the same. Make it an option at least. Kinda pathetic really, IMHO. Looks like it's selecting one card from the browser and selecting all to download adding operations and clicks because Canon can't design software worth a crap. 

@dooferorg wrote:

Canon can't design software worth a crap. 

Welcome to the forum.  This is your first post and contribution.  Thanks for sharing your opinion.  You are welcome to leave product feedback and make feature requests on the Canon USA home page [+] Feedback (top of page on right) 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Agree with you, dooferorg!

As a software designer myself, I too find it quite incredible that this problem persists across multiple Canon cameras.

I have just started using the EOS R6, which is my first Canon.  I was a Nikon man until recently, but the number of frustrations I have encountered with this Canon makes me long for the Nikon.  It has only taken about 5 days, but I have now encountered *three* major frustrations with this Canon and the EOS Utility.

Frustration #1 is that the EOS Utility (EU) downloads the photos twice when I have set the "record to multiple" cards option (I have two cards inserted in the camera).  Recording of video and stills have both been set to "record to multiple", so really, the camera and the EU should be treating my recording media as one card, in effect.

If I do a shoot and take 30 photos, the EU will download 60 photos (30 from card 1, the other 30 from card 2).  This is incredibly dopey and frustrating.  Not the only thing that is incredibly dopey and frustrating about this camera, but I will do separate postings on those other things.

And, when it comes to deleting the images on the cards, this too is a frustrating exercise.  The menu gives the "delete all images" option but it only does that for the card you have designated as the "play back" card!

So, to delete all images from both cards, you "delete all" from one, then designate the other card as the "play back" then delete from it.  A frustrating amount of menu operations.  On the good 'ol Nikon, *one* menu operation did the trick (how simple!).

Many here would say that I should just format both cards, individually, when seeking to erase all photos from my cards.  That is what I have been doing.

I know what Canon would say to this.  They would say:

"But sir, you have inserted two separate cards.  Each of those cards could have different contents and each could contain valuable images.  For this reason, we cannot treat them as one card.  We leave the card operations up to you.  That way, you can't blame us if you lose something valuable off one of your cards."

And to that, I would say to Canon:

"Not good enough!  Your design is creating a lot of extra work and frustration.  Why not give the users both options?  That is, the status quo, plus the option of treating both cards as one when "record to multiple" is in effect.  Allow the user to designate "TREAT BOTH CARDS AS ONE" when formatting.  From then on, when deleting images, they get deleted from both cards, automatically (just like on the Nikon).

And, when the EU downloads the images, it does so only once (because it knows the "BOTH AS ONE" option is in effect)."

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements