cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anybody have a suggestion for what kind of bag I can get for the 80d at fair price? or website

Mr1234
Contributor

10 REPLIES 10

ScottyP
Authority

First think what type of bag. Backpack, sling bag or shoulder bag/satchel. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Mr1234
Contributor
I'm looking for a shoulder bag that I can put both my camera and the lens and other stuff too.

Pick a style of bag.  There is more than one style of shoulder bag.  I like the look of messenger bags, myself.  Personally, I found that I needed more than one bag.  I have a "kit" bag, which nearly holds everything, but is not practical to tote around.  I use a small backpack to carry lenses, and a Lowepro holster to carry my camera with an attached lens.  Sometimes I go with only the holster.

Whatever you get, make sure that you can carry your camera and whatever lenses you think you need.  As for a kit bag, get it one size bigger than what you think you need right now.  You can run out of room very quickly when you get a bag that is just big enough.  Look for sales, too.  Online retailers like B&H always have a daily item on a special discounted price for just the one day.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The bag choice totally depends on (a) what you need to carry with you and (b) how you plan to use it.

I have LOTS of bags.  

I used to have a Tenba bag that could be worn as a backpack for hiking, but also had a retracting handle and wheels so it could be rolled.  I loved that bag.  As I aged, my lower spine is no longer "ok" with carrying backpacks.

Today, my main bags are rolling packs (they look like common rolling luggage) and are able to carry several camera bodies, lots of lenses, etc.  They are designed to be airplane carry-on size friendly.  

But one might imagine that depending on what sort of place you're going to shoot... dragging along a large bag that looks like rolling luggage (and I have more than one) is just not practical.

Therefore I have a few other bags that are large enough to hold ... just the camera body + lens... and maybe just one accessory such as a 2nd lens choice... or maybe a flash.   

I also have a belt (ThinkTank Photo makes it) and it takes modular bags (most of these are lens bags).  So if I'm shooting with just my camera (on a sling-strap), I can use the belt to wear the lens pack for just one or maybe two alternate lenses... or whatever else I need to bring (they make LOTS of accessories that attach to the belt) and that way I'm not actually carrying a gear "bag" because it's worn as a belt.

There is no best bag for everything.

There are shoulder bags, sling bags, waist-bags, rolling bags, back-packs, holster bags, the list goes on and on.

One general piece of advice that I'd pass along... while I love my Canon gear, I do not use a bag with a Canon logo on it because that sort of screams "Expensive equipement inside.  Steal me!" ... so I prefer that my bag doesn't exactly "look" like a camera bag.  And there are lots of bags that don't advertise that it's a camera bag.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Mr1234
Contributor
I'm not really a pro or good at using a camera but if I would like a should bag that would carry my 18-55mm lens with my 80d camera ? Because I'm gonna my back to Thailand I would like something to put my camera in

I suppose the best bag would depend upon will it be a checked bag, or not.  If I were checking in, i would put it into a larger suitcase, which locked.  A messenger bag does not look like a camera bag, and it would make a good carry on.  But, you may have another bag that you will need to carry on, though.

The best we can do is present you with ideas, not specific solutions.  You know far more about your specific requirements than what we ever will.  Even if we did [know more], the best we could do would still be to present choices, and let YOU decide.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You have a few options.  If I'm interpreting your needs correctly, what you REALLY need is a way to transport all of your gear one time via an airline flight without having to "check" the camera (higher risk of loss if it's checked because it's not under your directly control.)

But since you're "moving", you'll need to take "everything" with you... the camera, lens, battery charger, etc.  Not just the camera & lens only.    It doesn't sound like you have additional lenses or a flash... that means that you can probably get away with a fairly small shoulder bag.

These bags tend to be in the $20 price range ($50 would a lot for such a bag.)

If you're buying this bag primarily just for this single-use trip, then I probably wouldn't spend a lot of money on the bag.  But if you think you'd start bring the bag with you regularly when you go out to shoot (e.g. so you can pick up maybe an extra lens or two... or maybe a flash) then then you might want to have a bag large enogh to carry the body+lens, with space or at least one extra lens + flash... or maybe space or up to 2 extra lenses.   And depending on "where" you go shoot (e.g. are you hiking?  are you walking around in a city?) you might want a bag with features for that need (e.g. you might get caught in the rain so maybe you want a bag with a rain-jacket to keep the gear dry).  

You can spend several hundred dollars on a shoulder bag -- but those are getting into bags that double as fashion accessories.  If it's just the functionality you want then there's probably not much reason to spend over $50 and you'll find that even in the $20 range you have quite a selection of bags that will fit.

There are some major camera stores such as B&H Photo or Adorama and you'll find a huge selection.  For example, I'm at B&H Photo, I went to the "bags" section of the website, I "filtered' the choices to just "shoulder bags" category... and it's STILL showing me I have 980 choices!   If I filter that list to only show bags that cost less than $25, I still have 42 choices.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Mr1234
Contributor
Ok thank you yeah I want a shoulder bag because I'm gonna need to take the camera overseas for 2 months and I want a bag that is with me all the time instead getting checked at the air port because I'm worried that something might happen as well when I come back I want a I'll be needing to use it daily cause I have to take it to my photography class.

@Mr1234 wrote:
Ok thank you yeah I want a shoulder bag because I'm gonna need to take the camera overseas for 2 months and I want a bag that is with me all the time instead getting checked at the air port because I'm worried that something might happen as well when I come back I want a I'll be needing to use it daily cause I have to take it to my photography class.

If you expect to carry it every day, then I would suggest looking for a more permanent bag, one with a rain cover.  Rain covers also serve as good protection against dust, dirt, and sand, too.  Also, bags with rain covers do tend to be better built, and so they may cost upwards $30-$50 US dollars.

I have bags by Canon, Lowepro, Ruggard, Think Tank, and Case Logic.  I don't carry the Case Logic bag into the field, not at all, nor the Canon.  I only carry the Canon bags when I am on an overnight trip and don't want to carry the big kit bag by Lowepro or Ruggard.  The kit stays at my hotel.  I have more than one camera, and use different bags to store stuff I use with a given camera. 

I can fit everything into my two kit bags, and a Canon bag I use for cinema lenses.  The other bags I use to carry stuff in the field, on the go.  Some can carry a laptop, while some cannot.  Some are light, some are not. 

Everyone goes through a trial and error when it comes to camera bags, looking for just the right amount of bag.  The problem is that your gear can change over time.  For example, I bought a battery grip, only to discover that now the camera could no longer fit into any of my existing bags while the grip was attached!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements