cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checking camera metadata after images are downloaded

mloufrost
Apprentice

I am trying to do a demo on how Picture style settings affect the exposure of Raw images.  When I took my examples, I set my camera for both Raw and large jpeg images.  I failed to take notes on which images were taken with an auto picture style and which were taken with a neutral picture style.  The images are downloaded to my MacBook Air and I am trying to get that metadata now.  I don't see a way to get that camera-specific metadata now.  Is there any software that will get me that information or do I need to redo my experiment and take "Notes" on each exposure?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Picture Style settings have no effect on RAW data files, only JPG files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

In the past, you were correct. Maybe not entirely correct now, but I am speculating that there are choices made in software to produce the various types of RAW files.

While I have not attempted to prove it, I suspect that picture style impacts the contents of CRAW and possibly even makes a difference between dual pixel raw and ordinary raw. At the very least, it is used as a hint by software displaying the contents of the raw file.

I tried a capture of a dark image with the lens cap on with the only difference being dual pixel vs. ordinary raw and looked for a pixel that was a little warmer than most. I suspect that recorded camera style impacts the bayer array interpolation to make color out of the warmer pixel when combining the two sub-pixels into a single pixel.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Picture Style setting affect the histogram which appears on the back of the camera.  When I set them to "auto" I get a histogram which has been created in the camera according to the jpeg style settings.  When I open the Raw file it is often underexposed because I didn't see a histogram created from a neutral jpeg style.

Picture Styles have no effect on the actual contents of a RAW file, only how it is displayed. 

You could select any PS you wish, including black and white, and watch the histogram change. 

The histogram is based on the JPEG, so includes the effects of picture styles. I remember a lot of consternation on Luminous Landscape when this was first puzzled out.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can use Canon’s DPP4 app to see all of the EXIF data.  You can change the Picture Style of a RAW file to anything you want.  The Picture Style of a JPG is baked into the image file itself and cannot be changed.

The same is true for White Balance.  You can change WB of a RAW file in post, but not a JPG file.

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I use exiftool ( https://exiftool.org/ ) on my iMac in a terminal window to view all of the image metadata. There is more information in the raw files than in the JPEG files.

exiftool -"*Style*" *.CR3

======== IMG_0729.CR3
Picture Style : Auto
Picture Style User Def : Standard; Standard; Standard
Picture Style PC : None; None; None
Custom Picture Style File Name :
======== IMG_0996.CR3
Picture Style : Standard
Picture Style User Def : Standard; Standard; Standard
Picture Style PC : None; None; None
Custom Picture Style File Name :

Or

exiftool -G0:2 -U IMG_0996.CR3 | less

to see everything and also what section of the metadata it is in.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
Announcements