cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon t5 autofocus engages when lens is switched to manual focus

mlarosa
Apprentice

I have a student who is using a canon t5.  She is attempting to use manual focus when shooting, but even with the lens switched to MF, the autofocus is activitating and refocusing on the nearest object.  This is happenining intermittently.

I bellieve it might be a problem with the switch on her lens, but want to know if it could be something else before asking her to take her camera back to B+H.  It is a new camera and it hasn't been damaged at all.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If its new don't even hesitate to take it back.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Hold on there!

Try another, different, lens first.  You need to find out which is at fault.  The camera, the lens or her. Smiley Happy

Make sure the lens is not in IS mode when you mount or dis-mount it.  The lens is clicked completely on the camera?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The "AF/MF" switch on the side of the lens barrel is the ONLY way to enable or disable auto-focus.  There are no secret menu options if that's what you were wondering.

As Ernie suggests... do make sure the lens barrel is correctly seated on the camera mounting flange and rotate the bayonet mount so that it locks (clicks) in place -- just to be sure something isn't misaligned.)  

If you're convinced it's properly mounted (that's not hard to do so I would be surprised if that's the issue) and if the switch genuinely is in the "MF" position, then something is wrong that would require service.  But if this is a very new camera (recenlty bought within the stores return policy) then I"d exchange it -- the customer shouldn't have to go through a warranty process on a product fresh from the store.

Good luck!

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements