cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF stopped working on EF-S 18-55 mm lens

Starligh
Apprentice

I have a Canon Rebel T6 with a 55mm lens.  The camera was working fine. Suddenly, the autofocus stopped working. I can focus it manually, but the lens seems to get stick between the 24 and 35 mm settings, making it hard to turn. It won't focus at all automatically. To make sure it was the lens and not the camera, I switched it for the long range lense. Autofocus worked fine with that.

Is there any way to fix the lens without having to buy a new one?

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

When you mean "55mm" lens do you mean the EF-S 18-55mm lens. Canon has made a 55mm lens in the EF or EF-S mount.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Starligh
Apprentice

Yes.  EFS 18-55 mm

Can you please provide the FULL NAME of the lens you own. There are 9 different versions of that lens.

-Demetrius

Starligh
Apprentice

I'm not sure of the name.  It's the one that came with the camera. It says Cannon EFS 18-55 mm image stabilizer macros 0.25m/0.8ft around the outside of the lens.  There are two switches on the lens.  One is a stabilizer on/off, the other is AF/MF (I'm assuming auto and manual focus).   On the outer lens it says Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II.  Opposite side of lens has a theta symbol with 58mm.  I can't find a model number.

EF-S 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II is the full model number of your lens. It sounds like someone has tried to manually focus the lens in AF mode. This caused the gears connected to the AF motor to jam up. You can try putting the lens in manual focus. Then turning the focus ring all the way to each end to realign the focus motor. If that doesn't work then you'll need a new lens. Sometimes this procedure works for Micro Motor lenses. If the gears are too far gone replacement is necessary. For a replacement lens look into the EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS STM or EF-S 18-55mm F/4-5.6 IS STM lenses. These lenses have better and faster AF motors. The focus ring on these lenses are electronic. You won't have to worry about turning the lens in AF mode. The focus ring isn't connected to the lens' focusing system.

-Demetrius

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try this:

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Starligh
Apprentice

That seems to have worked.  Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

smiley.png

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements