cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 with Sigma 500 f4 Sports

bessad
Apprentice

Hey guys! Any opinion on this combo ? How is the AF speed ? I have the Sigma 500 f4 and I’m looking for a new body. So R5 is one of the main contenders. The use is only for Birdphotography. My other option is selling the lens and going to something lighter and more safe with Canon R cameras like the Canon RF 100-500 with the R5. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“How is the AF speed?”

I think you should already know the answer to that question.  Your top AF speed will be limited by the AF speed of the lens with the higher performance camera bodies.  

I do not have that combination of camera and lens.  Given a choice between an R5 and R6ii for wildlife photography, I think I would go for the R6ii.  It has a superior AF system and greater dynamic range.  Try it and see how well it works for you.

You should not expect the lens to be fully compatible with the more advanced AF focusing and tracking features that are available in camera bodies with Dual Pixel AF II sensors.  I would stick to the default shutter mode, Electronic 1st Curtain. I would not expect the lens to keep up with the highest frame rates.  But, who knows.  Try it and see.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I suspect it isn't possible for you to "try it and see". That's unless you know someone or ones that have both cameras or you rent both. However there is no way on this earth I would trade a Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for a RF 100-500mm zoom. The big Siggy's only drawback is its weight but greatness never comes cheap or light! It is a fantastic lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The 500 f4 S has a firmware update that specifically addresses AF performance on the R5, so I would advise applying that.  If you don't have a USB dock, I'd grab one.     

Ver.2.03 2021.07.08

It has improved the AF speed when used in combination with Canon mount adapter EF-EOS R series attached on Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6.

I have owned plenty of Sigma lenses and have enjoyed every one of them.  The global vision series (Art, Contemporary, Sport) offer the convenience and option for users to update their lenses at home.

We don't know what you are shooting with now, but I would probably flash and try the 500 f4 on an R5 before selling it.  I own the R5 C and RF 100-500.  They are a formidable pairing. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements