cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon rebel t7 not turning on

raffy_
Apprentice

recently i noticed my camera wasn’t turning on. the last time it was on was on 4th of july flashing a low battery symbol and went dead. i didn’t charge the battery after that. a week ago i went to go charge my battery and it says that it is fully charged, even though i have never charged it. when i do put it back in the camera, it doesn’t turn on it’s just a blank screen. i had this battery for one year, do i need to get a new one? 

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If the battery reported low battery in camera but fully charged in charger I would suspect a faulty battery. 

If you don’t get a new battery it looks like your camera is a paperweight. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I would trust what the camera is reporting more so than the charger.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How old is the battery?  Is it a genuine Canon battery?

It sounds like the charger could be bad, to me.  I would trust what the camera is telling you.  The batteries may not actually be charging.  I have had several LP-E6N batteries seem to die on me all at once recently, within several weeks of one another.  I tried a new charger, problem solved.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

i’ve had the same battery since i bought the camera, january 8th 2021. i got it at best buy along with the camera, this battery is LP-E10

You can't always trust the camera. I have a T7 and the battery indicator never goes above 1/2, even with a fully charged battery. I talked to cannon support and their response was to send me a new battery. No change. The camera has never stopped working but I always carry extra batteries.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If batteries are left for long periods in a camera they can go into a state known as deep discharge. 

My first suggestion is to put the battery back in the camera and see if it shows any life: if not, then put it back on the charger again for an extended period - several hours.   The fully-charged indicator may be an error from its deep discharge state.

Meanwhile, get a new, genuine Canon battery from a reputable resource.  Charge that, and see if the camera works.  

In future, when not using your camera, I suggest removing the battery and storing it separately.  Don't fully charge it up beforehand, but do fully charge it just before you are going to use it.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements