cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camera forgets settings when turned off (1dxiii)

exkaapenaar
Contributor

for example Yellow Menu / 2 / Viewfinder Display . 

it forgets eveytime that i wanted electronic level on, when i take the battery out it goes back to off .

Or Orange Menu / 5 / Viewfinder info during exp.

it turns off after i turned it on if i turn the camera off. this is weird. why do these things happen?

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What shooting mode are you using? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

it happens in manual mode. that's what I've always used. my 1dx2 remembers thats what i was expecting. but is it something im missing?

@exkaapenaar wrote:

it happens in manual mode. that's what I've always used. my 1dx2 remembers thats what i was expecting. but is it something im missing?

I suggest that you contact Canon Support.

What you are describing is pretty odd in light of the fact that you have made no mention of teh camera losing track of time and date.

If I did not know any better, I would think you are using a Custom Shooting Mode.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm not as familiar with the 1DX3 as with my R5C, but you can save and restore settings from the card Wrench menu, 4.  "Save/load cam settings on card".

Believe you can also use the "info" button and save profiles with different names.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

thats what I have ended up doing. but my 1dx2 remembered what i setup. so expected the 3 to be the same

exkaapenaar
Contributor

so i sent camera back. got a brand new one and its doing the exact same thing. Now i think its me. or is there a bug in the version of firmware. im so confused. i set up a 3 second timer for a long exposure in the dark and when i clicked the buttone it was set to previous shutter speed from earlier. so random missed the shot. any ideas why . it forgets what i tell it to do if i take too long

exkaapenaar
Contributor

here is example. when i change modes either from M to TV or Av the Yellow wrench icon and then 2 and then viewfinder display and then show hide in viewfinder it always forgets that i turned it on . it goes off and i have to turn it on again and again. this is so weird. unless i update custom settings it forgets. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"unless i update custom settings it forgets"

The purpose of a Custom Setting is to "lock in" a desired set of shooting conditions.

When you say you are in a certain mode is it "M" mode for example, or "C1M"?

There is an option to allow changes you make to a Custom Mode to be changed on camera during a shooting session, but unless you also re-register the Custom Mode the changes will be lost on power down.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

"unless i update custom settings it forgets"

The purpose of a Custom Setting is to "lock in" a desired set of shooting conditions.

When you say you are in a certain mode is it "M" mode for example, or "C1M"?

The use of a custom shooting mode has been my gut feeling from the start.  

Many people think of a custom shooting mode as a path to preserving your current camera settings.  It is not.  It’s the exact opposite.  It is a means to reload a preset configuration of camera settings.

If you want the camera to retain your current settings when you turn it off, then do not use a custom shooting mode.  

I setup C1 as One Shot AF Mode and Single Shot Drive Mode, with a single AF point. I call this “Bird on a Branch” mode. 

I have setup C2 as Zone AF and Continuous Drive mode, with the center AF point determining the Initial Starting AF Point for Zone AF tracking.  This is “Bird in Flight” mode.

Announcements