cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying 2 bodies:5d Mk III+60D backup vs 7D+6D since they have shortcomings? Thoughts?

bbny31
Contributor
With a budget of about $3000 and wanting to upgrade two of my bodies I was considering a new 7D and a new 6D.
However with all that I have read regarding the shortcomings of each I'm considering buying the superior 5D Mark III used along with a 60D as a back up for about the same $.
I know many love the 6D, as well as the 7D but I've concluded that they just don't compare to the 5DIII (shutter speed, focus accuracy, card slots, focus points) and, athough the 60D is perhaps lesser of a camera, as a back up I'm in line with my budget.

Any thoughts?

(I'm shooting mostly birds, concerts, some landscapes.  Using all pro L lenses).
11 REPLIES 11

cicopo
Elite

5D3 and whatever else fits your budget / needs.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

7D5D
Rising Star
Got the budget for a 5D mkIII? Get it now, you will love it and will have no regrets. Do not let a backup body influence your primary body decision.

Once you get your primary body, save just a bit more (and really I think it will be just a bit). You should find a deal in short time, whether new or used, on a backup body. Keep in mind that both the 7D and 60D prices are going to drop like rocks when the 7D mkII and 70D bodies are released. Sounds like the 70D is coming out this month and is rumored to put the 60D to shame. Many people are now selling their 7Ds waiting for the new mkII. Good luck. Keep us posted. We always like to know the out come.

Good advice.  Thank you.   "Spend your money once" is probably the best advice (i.e. - buying the superior Mark III) however if the 7D II comes out shining (which just may based on heavy feedback to Canon regarding the shortcomings of the 7D) that body might be a strong contender as a sister match in a 7D II + 6D combo (essentially having two "85% good" cameras vs buying the one great 5D III (100% wonderful) and a much lower second body ( i.e. the 60D @ "65%" value).

Hmmmm.

The field has become so confusing I've actually went onto the Nikon sight just to see what's going on there.  Something I would have never even thought of throughtout my years with Canon.

There appears to be some type of announcement coming from Canon coming on March 22nd (rumored to be the release details of the 70D).  7D Mark II appears rumoured for August release (source: Japan canon sites).

diverhank
Authority
Get a 5D3 and unless you shoot weddings professionally, don't bother with a backup. When I got the 5D3 a year ago, I keep my 50D as a backup. I haven't used it at all except for clicking a few to make sure it's still functioning...even then I didn't really want to...the viewfinder is too small, too dim, the focus too slow, the pictures too noisy...the list goes on...the 5D3 is that much better.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Good point. I've always found it helpful to carry a backup (in the event of failure) but more funtionally as to not always open up the camera up outdoors in less than favorable conditions (dust, dirt).
Essentially this method limits my quality with the lesser second body.
Hmmmm... the pondering continues.

@bbny31 wrote:
Good point. I've always found it helpful to carry a backup (in the event of failure) but more funtionally as to not always open up the camera up outdoors in less than favorable conditions (dust, dirt).
Essentially this method limits my quality with the lesser second body.
Hmmmm... the pondering continues.

This is a never ending quandry for me. I went from 2 50D bodies to 2 5D bodies to currently a 5DII and a 1DIII. 

From having two Minolta X700 bodies back in 1990 I like having a good backup and to me, 2 of the same is ideal. But, the 5DII just doesn't do sports or active wildlife well. The 1DIII excells at both but the 10mpx and lack of some of the more recent advancements makes me desire more.

I'm considering three options. Selling both and getting either a 1DIV or a 5DIII or selling the 1dIII and getting another 5DII. Currently I'm leaning toward the extra 5DII scenerio.

But, I keep deciding on something - and then changing my mind. I know I am not interested in a 7D, 60D or 6D. Maybe the 70D or 7DII will alter the equation.

Edit: I do have a 50D and 30D sitting around but they don't see use at this point.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

When I shot film I had a pair of A-1's, which allowed using slide film in one & print film in the other OR high & low ISO (ASA) speed film. When I finally bit the bullet & went to a DSLR it didn't take long before I had 2 & eventually I found I need at least 2 to fit my primary use because I need both a long lens & a short one at the same time. Having said all that I've never had a failure that forced my to rely on the "back up" other than from running the battery down. As stated IF you do weddings as a paid job I wouldn't think of doing it with one body & no back up but other than that it's not a back up as much as it's the other option when a quick lens change is needed RIGHT NOW.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

When I shot film I had a pair of A-1's, which allowed using slide film in one & print film in the other OR high & low ISO (ASA) speed film. When I finally bit the bullet & went to a DSLR it didn't take long before I had 2 & eventually I found I need at least 2 to fit my primary use because I need both a long lens & a short one at the same time. Having said all that I've never had a failure that forced my to rely on the "back up" other than from running the battery down. As stated IF you do weddings as a paid job I wouldn't think of doing it with one body & no back up but other than that it's not a back up as much as it's the other option when a quick lens change is needed RIGHT NOW.

Absolutely correct. I used to have Velvia in one body and print film in another. Somehow having two bodies of different crop factors bugs me. My 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses dont fit quite right together. 

I need to win the lottery so I can get a pair of 1DX or 5DIII bodies. 

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/
Announcements