cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom function on the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm Lens

BiometrisInc
Contributor

I wanted to get some assistance confirming whether this DSLR and the stock lens provided by the manufacturer, Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm Lens, has auto zoom capabilities or if it is only able to perform zoom functions manually by rotation of the lens body.

In the case that it has autozoom functions, can someone please tell me how to access this from the camera's controls and also if autozoom is a function available on all attached lenses vs. only being possible on a select few. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

You're asking for servo zoom, where the lens has a motor in it to move the zoom feature, and the camera has controls to operate that.  This is not a common feature in interchangable-lens cameras.  It does exist on some high-end cameras designed for movie shooting, but for cameras like this, not so much.  Most still photographers don't need power zoom; twisting the lens to zoom is usually fine.  High-end movie shooters will kit their cameras out with motors to operate aperture, focus and zoom via gears on the lens, but that's a whole other world.

There are lenses that have zoom servos built in, with buttons on the lens to operate it.  Again, though, these are rare and expensive.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

I see. So what we have here is an adapter that the lens sits on. It is specific for the EF 18-135 US lens or any 18-135 USM lens?

kvbarkley 

I know it's a a late reply, but I just saw this.

Thank you for pointing out that the PZ E-1 only works on the USM model of the 18-135 lens. I didn't realize that.

Steve Thomas

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Only one EF-S 18-135 works with it, the USM, there was only one.

rickyclerk
Apprentice

The Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (also known as the EOS 250D in some regions) is a popular entry-level digital SLR camera that comes with various features, including a zoom function when using compatible lenses like the EF-S 18-55mm lens. Here's how you can use the zoom function on the Canon EOS Rebel SL3:

1. Attach the Lens: Make sure you have the EF-S 18-55mm lens attached to your camera. This lens is a versatile kit lens that provides a zoom range from wide-angle to short telephoto.

2. Power On: Turn on the camera by moving the power switch to the "On" position.

3. Compose Your Shot: Look through the viewfinder or use the camera's Live View mode to compose your shot.

4. Zooming In: To zoom in, you'll need to rotate the zoom ring on the lens. The zoom ring is the outermost ring on the lens barrel, usually labeled with focal length values like 18mm, 24mm, 35mm, and 55mm. Rotate the ring clockwise to zoom in, which means you'll be using higher focal lengths (e.g., 35mm or 55mm) for a closer view of the subject.

5. Zooming Out: To zoom out and capture a wider scene, rotate the zoom ring counterclockwise. This will use lower focal lengths (e.g., 18mm) for a wider angle of view.

6. Focus and Capture: After zooming in or out to your desired framing, half-press the shutter button to autofocus, and then fully press the shutter button to take the shot.

Remember that the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 has both optical viewfinder and Live View modes. When using Live View, you'll see the changes in the framing as you zoom, directly on the LCD screen.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements