cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White blurry line on photos 1Ds

Ernie2
Apprentice
I recently bought a used 1Ds online. I noticed that most photos come out with a white blurry line starting at the center and extending to the right. Depending on the amount of light, sometimes it is more evident than other times. I read that it could be caused by the shutter but I want to know if the reason could be the lens. It's a brand new 85mm 1.4 manual aspherical lens. Could the lens be the problems or is it strictly the body?
12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Could be a hair on the sensor, too. Post a sample.

FABW9597.JPG

OOF.  Try a different lens, but that doesn't look good.  I find it curious that the edges of the distortion are soft, it doesn't go all the way across the frame, and how it's a little curved along one edge..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What's most interesting is the black shape in the first picture that occludes even part of the bright bar. Whatever that piece is, it doesn't belong there at that time. If I had to guess, I'd say that the shutter mechanism is in the process of disintegrating.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"100% sure a broken shutter."

Sorry but Peter is correct.  It is toast.  It is probably not fixable either as the cost if you can find a new shutter will be more than another used camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Idea!  Smiley Very Happy

Look for a nice used 1Ds Mk II.

EB

ebiggs1 wrote:

Idea!  Smiley Very Happy

Look for a nice used 1Ds Mk II.

Why? Now that early members of the 1D series are finally falling apart, they've lost their principal advantage: their legendary durability. At this point, a used 5D Mk III (of which there should be a glut, in view of the enthusiastic response accorded the 5D Mk IV) figures to be a much better buy.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

Why?  I'll tell you why.  First off there is nothing like a 1 series.  There is 1 series and then there is everything else.  Another good reason a good used 1Ds Mk II can be had for $350.  A very nice one for $500.  Even though the Ds2 is a granddad by now it can still hold its own.  Once you use a 1 series you ain't gonna go back to any lesser camera.

If the OP wants a 1 series FF a used Ds2 will be less than a new shutter for the Ds if he can even find one.  Of course if he really wants to step up, there is the Ds3,  But they are still pretty pricey.  There is a huge difference between the Ds2 back and the Ds3 forward.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Do post a sample.

If it is the 1Ds, it is not likely repairable.  You might want to look for a 1Ds Mk II.

EB
Announcements