cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which combo would you get if on a budget?

CanonNewbie
Contributor

Hello.

I am switiching to a canon slr and looking to get new equipment soon as there are some decent sales going on.  I am very confused about the body of a camera to get.  I want something better than a beginner camera, and something that I can use for years forward as I get more experienced.  I am really interested in the 5d mark ii but not sure if I really need to spend the money on a FF as of yet.  But this camera has great reviews and the price currently is really good to ingore, and I think this will keep me happy in the long run.  Or I could get the 60D and get good lenses with it.  What would you get,  a 60D with F1.2L lens or a 5D Mark ii with a F1.4 lens?  Any advice is appreciated =). 

14 REPLIES 14

Thanks!! I'm def leaning towards the 5D. 

Budget is tight after this purchase.. I def want to get a 50mm.. and will save up for a 24-70 f 2.8 to get in the future.  RIght now its too expensive!  

After getting the 5d2, how much do you have left for lenses?

The Canon f/1.2 glass is not for someone on a bu

dget…they cost a couple bucks…they are the Canon 50 f/1.2L and the Canon 85 f/1.2L. If you are not up to shooting very narrow depth of field…at relatively close distances…these are not for you… The Canon 50 f/1.2 is not the sharpest lens in Canons’ box…it has an image quality all its own when shot wide open…the Canon 85 f/1.2 is sharp wide open, but again, the selling points on the 1.2s is f/1.2…and build quality…but you have to know how to use these lenses to get them right…Whole ‘nother topic… A Canon 5Dc and a Canon 50 f/1.4 would be a good deal and give very good IQ ( the 5Dc has larger pixels than the others, something it shares with the 30D crop body and gives better IQ IMO). The 50 f/1.4 is sharper than the 1.2 ver. from f/2 on, and ¼ the price…build quality not that great but…the Canon 50 f/1.2 is built like a tank…probably the best low light lens of the group…has color and saturation over the 1.4…they can be close when shot right…

Jefferson

The Canon 85 f/1.8 is also a good choice...sharp wide open...fast focus...something the 85 f/1.2 doesent have...and has very good build and image qualty...

Ask yourself what you need in a body. Do you need 8fps? Do you really need FF?

The 7d, 60d, T3i, and T2i all have the same sensor so don't expect different IQ (lenses make more of a difference). What you're paying for are the extra features each one adds.

If you need higher fps and faster focus system, the 7d should be the obviousl choice.

If you don't, then the choice isn't so obvious.

If you want FF I highly suggest you rent a 5d2 first. There are SO many opinions on the subject of improved IQ from 7d/60d vs 5d2. Best to spend a tiny bit of money to shoot a 5d2 for a day (or two) and KNOW if it's worth the extra money for what YOU want to do.

I coveted the 7d for a long time but sat myself down and asked myself if the AF in my T2i was plenty fine for what I shot for an entire year, did I really need the 7d's? Ended up with a 60d because I didn't need the extras in the 7d. The 60d had the extras I wanted/needed.

It's about what YOU need/want in a camera. Don't get caught up in what others prefer/need. 🙂

jayhas
Apprentice

New user here, so Hello.

I am three years into Canon dlsr now but mostly video work plus timelapse. I have two 5D mk2 and a 7D at my disposal at work and I shot with those for quite a while. However, I just somehow felt something missing ever since I got my own 60D and would often use it instead of the 5D and 7D. For what I do and my need, the flip screen is the biggest feature that make my life easier as a videographer. I would jump at the 6D FF if it came with the flip screen, but Canon decided to not to give us that. So I'll stick to my reliable 60D for now. Just my two cents.

Announcements