cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Canon DSLRs support hot shoe transmitters in Live View?

Catbus
Contributor

I've had a Canon EOS Rebel T3i for a while, and I like everything about it except for one thing: I can't use both Live View and a radio flash trigger at the same time. (I use Cactus transceivers attached to off-camera Canon 430 EX II Speedlites.) If I'm in Live View, the T3i refuses to trigger the transmitter, because the transmitter isn't a Canon flash. If I want to use a transmitter, I can't use Live View. This is frustrating.

So now I have enough nickels scraped together to buy a new camera body, and I want to find out before I buy: Which Canon cameras will allow me to work in Live View and use my Cactus transceivers to trigger my flashes at the same time? I'm specifically considering the 6D original, the 6D Mk II, the 7D Mk II or the Rebel T7i.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good suggestion. Here's what I found in the various manuals:

• T3i: "A non-Canon flash will not fire during Live View shooting." (p. 264)
  • 6D: "If you use a non-Canon flash unit with Live View shooting, set [2: Silent LV shoot] to [Disable] (p.190). The flash will not fire if it is set to [Mode 1] or [Mode 2]." (p. 171)
  • 6D Mk II: "If you use a non-Canon flash unit with Live View shooting, set [5: Silent LV shoot] to [Disable] (p.303). The flash will not be fired if it is set to [Mode 1] or [Mode 2]." (p. 280)
  • 7D Mk II: "If you use a non-Canon flash unit with Live View shooting, set [6: Silent LV shoot] to [Disable] (p.297). The flash will not fire if it is set to [Mode 1] or [Mode 2]." (p. 260)
  • T7i: "A non-Canon flash will not fire during Live View shooting." (p. 210)

So it looks like I can scratch the T7i off my list, while any of the others has a good chance of working.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Catbus
Contributor
Don't all shout out your answers at once. One at a time, please.

Call 1 (800) 652-2666 they will tell you....quickly. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Call 1 (800) 652-2666 they will tell you....quickly. Smiley Happy"

Nope. All they'd tell me was that they wouldn't say whether "third-party products" will or will not work with Canon cameras. Thanks, guys. Super helpful.

It's unlikely that any user on here can give you the answer for a variety of bodies because most people don't have them all.

The easiest way to find out is to go on the Canon site and download the user manuals where you will find the information.

Incidentally this has nothing to do with a third party transmitter, the camera will act the same with an external flashgun in the shoe whether it is a Genuine Canon or a compatible 3rd party one. The problem is caused by the way the mirror and shutter operate in live view.

Good suggestion. Here's what I found in the various manuals:

• T3i: "A non-Canon flash will not fire during Live View shooting." (p. 264)
  • 6D: "If you use a non-Canon flash unit with Live View shooting, set [2: Silent LV shoot] to [Disable] (p.190). The flash will not fire if it is set to [Mode 1] or [Mode 2]." (p. 171)
  • 6D Mk II: "If you use a non-Canon flash unit with Live View shooting, set [5: Silent LV shoot] to [Disable] (p.303). The flash will not be fired if it is set to [Mode 1] or [Mode 2]." (p. 280)
  • 7D Mk II: "If you use a non-Canon flash unit with Live View shooting, set [6: Silent LV shoot] to [Disable] (p.297). The flash will not fire if it is set to [Mode 1] or [Mode 2]." (p. 260)
  • T7i: "A non-Canon flash will not fire during Live View shooting." (p. 210)

So it looks like I can scratch the T7i off my list, while any of the others has a good chance of working.

I question the "non-canon flash" that they state because my 7D2 works perfectly in live view with my Metz 58AF-1 whether silent shooting is disabled, or in modes 1or2.

I think probably the operation in modes 1 & 2 depend on the level of flash compatibility rather than implying that it is only Canon flashguns that will work.

Well, I know from experience that my Cactus transceivers don't fire in Live View mode on my T3i. So chances are, they wouldn't fire in Silent Shooting Mode 1 or 2 on a 6D, 6D2 or 7D2 either.

Anyway, at this point, I've settled on the 6D. The 7D2 doesn't have face detection, and the 6D does; plus, I can get a 6D body and a nifty fifty for $375 less than a 7D2 body alone.

@Catbuswrote:

Well, I know from experience that my Cactus transceivers don't fire in Live View mode on my T3i. So chances are, they wouldn't fire in Silent Shooting Mode 1 or 2 on a 6D, 6D2 or 7D2 either.

Anyway, at this point, I've settled on the 6D. The 7D2 doesn't have face detection, and the 6D does; plus, I can get a 6D body and a nifty fifty for $375 less than a 7D2 body alone.

The 7D and 7D Mk II both have face detection.  I think almost ALL Canon digital cameras made since about 2008 have face detection.  The 500D/T1i, 50D, 7D, and 5D Mk II are all cameras from that era. They all had "DIGIC 4"  processors, and all had face detection.  
Mike Sowsun

Ray-uk
Whiz

The 7D Mk II will trigger an external flash in live view providing you have turned off the silent shooting mode, I would imagine the 6D Mk II would be the same. A lot of earlier cameras did not have this option.

Announcements