cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to buy?

jjmor918
Apprentice

My daughter is taking a photography class in high school and is currently using a digital rebel T5. I'd like to buy her a camera for the holidays, but I'm not sure what to look for ...

I'm seeing all different models and I don't know what the differences are. Specifically, I'm looking at these:

Canon EOS 4000D Rebel 18MP Digital SLR Camera

Canon Black Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera Bundle with 18mm-55mm

Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Starter Bundle

Canon EOS 2000D / Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens + Creative Filter Set, EOS Camera Bag + Sandisk Ultra 64GB Card + 6AVE Electronics Cleaning Set, And More (International Model)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you are going to engage with a refurbished or second-hand camera market, I think it is a good idea to get to know some of the differences between the different levels of models. In the following paragraphs the # symbol represents a model number e.g.T7, T7i, 60D 5D.

Canon Rebel are the consumer level

A T# is the most basic, has the least features and is the least robust, but is a good starter system.  They will have the least capable sensors, lack tilting LCD displays at the back and are generally of the cheapest build.  They are still capable of taking great photos, but are the most limited of the EOS DSLR range.

The T#i models are a step up from those.  They have better sensors, processors, viewfinders and LCD displays and are somewhat more robust.  They will (almost certainly) have tilting swivelling screens to allow selfies or vlogging, and to shoot very high or very low. They are slightly more robust.

XXD bodies are higher-end enthusiast cameras.  Significantly more robust, with extra screens, higher quality components better focusing systems, and bigger batteries than the Rebel series.

XD Mk? bodies are professional and prosumer units, designed to take serious punishment and use over many years.  They are built like tanks and have the best quality components. These units have numbers that also have Mk? values (e.g. 5DMkIV): so while the model denotes a type of camera, the higher the Mk value, the newer the version.

Canon EOS R series cameras are not DSLRs they are called MILCs (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras), because they lack an optical viewfinder and instead use a tiny electronic viewfinder.  They are the latest technology and are likely to be outside your $1,000 price range.

A couple of general notes:

Avoid anything that does not have some kind of built-in viewfinder.  This is not a problem with DSLRs - but there are some mirrorless cameras out there that don't have them.  The correct way to hold a camera demands the presence of a viewfinder one can put up to the face to get a 3rd point of contact along with the two hands and arms - this provides stability far in excess of the way that people used to cell phones hold their cameras, looking through the back LCD display. 

As to lenses:  If you have the opportunity, try to get the Canon EF-S 18-135 STM lens.  It is an excellent kit lens for Rebel and XXD cameras, with a much wider range than the 18-55mm units.  If you DO get an 18-55 lens, make sure it has the letters STM on the front of the lens.  These lenses do not use gears, as older ones do, and are silent, fast-focusing and not prone to having the issues with a gearing mechanism because they have direct-drive motors.

I would strongly encourage you to consult with your daughter, and her with her teacher as to what kinds of gear to use. I will enclose the following article I wrote on how to choose camera gear At this link. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Alan, I read it that the OP is saying that she is using, but not owning the camera he mentions.  That camera is supplied by the school and he wants to get her one of her own.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Trevor,

You beat me to it...   One thing none of us asked.  Does your daughter own the T5 or is she using a camera supplied to her by the school for the course duration?

Regarding purchasing refurbished gear.  Yes.  100% safe from Canon.  This gear has the same 1 yr warranty as new gear. 

@jjmor918

Staying below $1K and making a meaningful purchase is challenging.  Its a situation where you are trying to balance cost and value vs. will she continue using it.

I took a few years of photography in HS.  First an intro, but the instructor moved me into the intermediate class and darkroom techniques after a few weeks.  I had a Canon AE-1 at the time.  This is when I learned how to develop film and make my own B&W prints.  By senior year I was on the yearbook committee and was one of the school's photographers.  My grandparents purchased a few lenses for me.

I'm sure you know your daughter.  If she is demonstrating interest and aptitude for photography, I'd up your budget roughly $500.  You'll get a higher return on your investment doing so, and with the holidays coming also some good sales that could mean additional buying power.  The reason I might encourage spending a little more upfront is to ensure better return on investment.

Mirrorless is the future and in many ways a wiser investment.  I know what you are probably thinking...  its out of my reach.  Its not.  The R10 (APS-C) or RP (fullframe) both are sub $1K new.  Now look at some refurbished lenses.  All here can help and advise on purchasing decisions, matching gear (body & lenses) plus other accessories.  The right camera, body, lens, deal, etc is out there.  Take your time.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

B&H has the R10 and 18-150 for $1379.  (new) Out the door.

Rockin' deal for a HS Student.    

shadowsports_0-1666238485829.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

Unless you're really tied to the idea of a DSLR, you might look at a mirrorless, which offers a smaller package and, unlike a DSLR, consistent capabilities whether you're using the viewfinder or the live view screen. It's possible that there is no camera in your price range that your daughter would have more fun with than an EOS M50 Mark II. If you have until Christmas, though, you might keep your eyes and ears open for an announcement about a Mark III in the next month or so, which I think is quite possible.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

BiometrisInc
Contributor

Does anyone know if this camera has autozoom functions?

Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Digital SLR 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements