cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to buy?

jjmor918
Apprentice

My daughter is taking a photography class in high school and is currently using a digital rebel T5. I'd like to buy her a camera for the holidays, but I'm not sure what to look for ...

I'm seeing all different models and I don't know what the differences are. Specifically, I'm looking at these:

Canon EOS 4000D Rebel 18MP Digital SLR Camera

Canon Black Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera Bundle with 18mm-55mm

Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Starter Bundle

Canon EOS 2000D / Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens + Creative Filter Set, EOS Camera Bag + Sandisk Ultra 64GB Card + 6AVE Electronics Cleaning Set, And More (International Model)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you are going to engage with a refurbished or second-hand camera market, I think it is a good idea to get to know some of the differences between the different levels of models. In the following paragraphs the # symbol represents a model number e.g.T7, T7i, 60D 5D.

Canon Rebel are the consumer level

A T# is the most basic, has the least features and is the least robust, but is a good starter system.  They will have the least capable sensors, lack tilting LCD displays at the back and are generally of the cheapest build.  They are still capable of taking great photos, but are the most limited of the EOS DSLR range.

The T#i models are a step up from those.  They have better sensors, processors, viewfinders and LCD displays and are somewhat more robust.  They will (almost certainly) have tilting swivelling screens to allow selfies or vlogging, and to shoot very high or very low. They are slightly more robust.

XXD bodies are higher-end enthusiast cameras.  Significantly more robust, with extra screens, higher quality components better focusing systems, and bigger batteries than the Rebel series.

XD Mk? bodies are professional and prosumer units, designed to take serious punishment and use over many years.  They are built like tanks and have the best quality components. These units have numbers that also have Mk? values (e.g. 5DMkIV): so while the model denotes a type of camera, the higher the Mk value, the newer the version.

Canon EOS R series cameras are not DSLRs they are called MILCs (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras), because they lack an optical viewfinder and instead use a tiny electronic viewfinder.  They are the latest technology and are likely to be outside your $1,000 price range.

A couple of general notes:

Avoid anything that does not have some kind of built-in viewfinder.  This is not a problem with DSLRs - but there are some mirrorless cameras out there that don't have them.  The correct way to hold a camera demands the presence of a viewfinder one can put up to the face to get a 3rd point of contact along with the two hands and arms - this provides stability far in excess of the way that people used to cell phones hold their cameras, looking through the back LCD display. 

As to lenses:  If you have the opportunity, try to get the Canon EF-S 18-135 STM lens.  It is an excellent kit lens for Rebel and XXD cameras, with a much wider range than the 18-55mm units.  If you DO get an 18-55 lens, make sure it has the letters STM on the front of the lens.  These lenses do not use gears, as older ones do, and are silent, fast-focusing and not prone to having the issues with a gearing mechanism because they have direct-drive motors.

I would strongly encourage you to consult with your daughter, and her with her teacher as to what kinds of gear to use. I will enclose the following article I wrote on how to choose camera gear At this link. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Lets start here.  What is your budget?

Please also consider this.  Only buy gear from Canon or an authorized reseller.  B&H is a great factory authorized reseller.  They ship internationally as well.

Buying inclusive kits from sellers on Amazon and other places is risky.  You can get gray market, conterfeit or non authorized refurbished gear that came straight from someone's garage.  Don't risk it.

Last, please let us know her intended use.  Street photography, Wildlife, Vlogging, Landscapes, a mix of everything, etc?  The items above are all starter (first time) photograper type of gear. 

Thanks,

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'd like to keep my costs under $1,000 if possible ... this will be her first "real" camera.

Her photography teacher also recommended B&H

Intended use is probably a mix of everything, but she does enjoy photographing nature

What accessories should I be looking for to include?

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance!

If you are going to engage with a refurbished or second-hand camera market, I think it is a good idea to get to know some of the differences between the different levels of models. In the following paragraphs the # symbol represents a model number e.g.T7, T7i, 60D 5D.

Canon Rebel are the consumer level

A T# is the most basic, has the least features and is the least robust, but is a good starter system.  They will have the least capable sensors, lack tilting LCD displays at the back and are generally of the cheapest build.  They are still capable of taking great photos, but are the most limited of the EOS DSLR range.

The T#i models are a step up from those.  They have better sensors, processors, viewfinders and LCD displays and are somewhat more robust.  They will (almost certainly) have tilting swivelling screens to allow selfies or vlogging, and to shoot very high or very low. They are slightly more robust.

XXD bodies are higher-end enthusiast cameras.  Significantly more robust, with extra screens, higher quality components better focusing systems, and bigger batteries than the Rebel series.

XD Mk? bodies are professional and prosumer units, designed to take serious punishment and use over many years.  They are built like tanks and have the best quality components. These units have numbers that also have Mk? values (e.g. 5DMkIV): so while the model denotes a type of camera, the higher the Mk value, the newer the version.

Canon EOS R series cameras are not DSLRs they are called MILCs (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras), because they lack an optical viewfinder and instead use a tiny electronic viewfinder.  They are the latest technology and are likely to be outside your $1,000 price range.

A couple of general notes:

Avoid anything that does not have some kind of built-in viewfinder.  This is not a problem with DSLRs - but there are some mirrorless cameras out there that don't have them.  The correct way to hold a camera demands the presence of a viewfinder one can put up to the face to get a 3rd point of contact along with the two hands and arms - this provides stability far in excess of the way that people used to cell phones hold their cameras, looking through the back LCD display. 

As to lenses:  If you have the opportunity, try to get the Canon EF-S 18-135 STM lens.  It is an excellent kit lens for Rebel and XXD cameras, with a much wider range than the 18-55mm units.  If you DO get an 18-55 lens, make sure it has the letters STM on the front of the lens.  These lenses do not use gears, as older ones do, and are silent, fast-focusing and not prone to having the issues with a gearing mechanism because they have direct-drive motors.

I would strongly encourage you to consult with your daughter, and her with her teacher as to what kinds of gear to use. I will enclose the following article I wrote on how to choose camera gear At this link. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jimor918,

What accessories should I be looking for to include?

I'd suggest a good stable tripod. Not only does it help you stop and think about the shot you are about to take, but it also opens up a lot of new possibilities like long exposure shots.

P.S. There's a website called Camera Decision that let's you compare two or more cameras to see what features you like.

Steve Thomas

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Rick beat me to it, but yes, what is your budget?

Completely agree to only purchase from authorized Canon resellers or directly from Canon.   Canon also sells refurbished items, so do consider that option as well.

If your budget is around $1,000 to $1,500 then I would definitely recommend the EOS R10 with either 18-45mm or 18-150mm lens.   I don't think you'd get very much improvement over the current Rebel T5 with the models you listed above.

Finally, what lens does she current have with the Rebel T5?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for you input!

I'm not sure what type of lens she is currently using with the Rebel T5.

I was a bit leery of purchasing a refurbished model, but you think that's an OK option if I buy it directly from canon or B&H

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance you can provide!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jjmor918 wrote:

My daughter is taking a photography class in high school and is currently using a digital rebel T5. I'd like to buy her a camera for the holidays, but I'm not sure what to look for ...

I'm seeing all different models and I don't know what the differences are. Specifically, I'm looking at these:

Canon EOS 4000D Rebel 18MP Digital SLR Camera

Canon Black Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera Bundle with 18mm-55mm

Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Starter Bundle

Canon EOS 2000D / Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens + Creative Filter Set, EOS Camera Bag + Sandisk Ultra 64GB Card + 6AVE Electronics Cleaning Set, And More (International Model)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you!

I would not consider any of those cameras as much of an upgrade over a T5.  Replacement would be a better description.  Based on your few words here, I see no reason to replace what seems to be a fully operational camera with a new one of the same quality.

I would consider a lens upgrade before a body replacement.  But first, I would get her opinion,  even if you want it to be a surprise.  A surprise is a surprise, no matter when you spring it on someone.

I used to own a T5.  I would describe it as “entry level”.  There are more advanced Rebels, which I would describe as “beginner level”.  All of the cameras you have listed above are “entry level” camera bodies, on par with the T5.  It is a body that is easily outgrown by someone who has been seriously bitten by the photograph bug.

If she is taking a photography class, then I highly recommend a “fast” prime like the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.  This is a very inexpensive lens with a list price of $125 USD the last time I checked.

The “fast” lenses have the smaller f/number specifications, which means they have wide apertures.  A wide aperture lens allows the photographer to create background blur when photographing portraits.  No doubt, this is a topic that should be covered in any basic photography class.

Again, consult your daughter as to what her preferences might be.  A photography gear shopping spree would be a dream come true.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

It boils down to budget and what she will be photographing. I have a T7 which is an entry level camera as I have been told. The 18-55mm lens isn't the best, either. I bought a Walmart kit from a third party. It serves me so far but my budget doesn't allow an upgrade. Buy a good camera body and a lens to complement it. Good advice here to  help with that decision. Wish I had known of the community 4-1/2 years ago!.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

amfoto1
Authority

What is wrong with your daughter's Rebel T5 that she's using now? Are you just wanting to get her a "better" camera? Has she said anything or asked for anything? Besides the T5, what else does she already have to work with? Lenses? Flash? Tripod? Etc.?

The four examples you give all offer little to no improvement over what she has now, that I can see.

"Canon EOS 4000D Rebel 18MP Digital SLR Camera... is virtually the same as what she has now. That's an odd description of it, too. Here in N. America it's called a "Rebel T100". Elsewhere in the world it's an "EOS 4000D". It's weird that they mix the global and N. American model names. In all likelihood, it's a "gray market" camera.... unofficially imported by a company that's not a Canon USA authorized dealer. As such, it will not have a Canon warranty. The T100 or 4000D is an even more "entry-level" model than the T5. The T100 has been discontinued in N. America.

"Canon EOS Rebel T5 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Starter Bundle" is exactly the same as what your daughter has now.

"Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Starter Bundle" is a newer version of what she has now., and a very minor upgrade. It's a 24MP camera instead of 18MP. That's about it. Not a lot of difference other than that. Can't tell if this is a gray market or a fully warranted, "official" USA camera kit.

"Canon EOS 2000D/Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens and a bunch of other stuff (International model)" is the same as above, another minor upgrade, but the use of "2000D" and "international model" is a clear indication this is a "gray market" camera, so will not be covered by a Canon USA warranty.

Now, "gray market" can be okay. Often warranty repairs aren't needed within the one year term of the warranty. Or, if something does go wrong during that year, some of the more reputable dealers who offer gray market provide a "store warranty" where they back the product themselves. Some good examples of these are long-established retailers like B&H Photo and Adorama. Other sellers might offer a "store warranty", but will the store still exist if a warranty claim is necessary?

Ah, I just noticed this last listing is from 6th Avenue Electronics. They are a well known "bait and switch" retailer now located in New Jersey. If you do an online search you will find numerous complaints and very low ratings. I recommend you avoid them.

Honestly I don't know what you are trying to accomplish for your daughter.

But if it is simply to get her a better camera, I would suggest...

- Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (or SL2)... this 24MP camera has the same autofocus system as her T5 and the T7, but has lots of other features those lack, such as a self-cleaning sensor, an articulated Touch Screen rear monitor, a several generation newer processor that makes for better performance in a number of ways, and more. If bought in kit with one or two lenses, it also comes with significantly better lenses than the T5 or T7.

- Canon EOS Rebel T8i (or T7i)... offers all the above, but also has a more advanced autofocus system. Larger battery allows more shots per charge. 

- Canon EOS R10... is a mirrorless camera (instead of a DSLR like all the above). This is Canon's new system. They are phasing out the DSLRs and going with mirrorless in the future. While there are also a lot of new RF and RF-S lenses available for use on the new system, via an adapter it also is possible to use any Canon EF/EF-S lenses your daughter currently has. Mirrorless cameras are able to have much more advanced autofocus systems and electronic shutters that can operate completely silently and at very high speeds. They have an electronic viewfinder that allows shooting in low light and gives exposure preview that makes adjustments easy.

There certainly are other Canon cameras that are even more of an upgrade, but they are higher priced and I can tell from your list that you're trying to keep the cost down. Because of that, you might want to consider some alternatives, such as getting your daughter a lens she has been wanting or a flash or something else related to her photography. Maybe you can talk with her about the class and can get some ideas, without tipping her off to the surprise.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Announcements