cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lense

Samuel_
Contributor

I have a canon 60d and I need to get a wide lense that's good for filming and photography and help ?

Also with a good zoom .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"I need something that shows a wide angle etc like I said !"

Sam the Man, Smiley Happy

Good and cheap are rarely used in the same sentence.  Pick one!  My choice for you would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  You said you are on a 60D?  That will be a great lens for you but it is pricey so you might want to check used sources or the refurb store.

Most of the time your 50mm prime is a poor choice as it is a specialized lens compared to a zoom.  There are few reasons to choose a prime lens anymore.

I don't do video. I am a stills photographer but the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens should fill the video need quite well.

It will do landscapes and general photography with the best of them.  Win, win!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Samuel_ wrote:

I have a canon 60d and I need to get a wide lense that's good for filming and photography and help ?

Also with a good zoom .

How many lenses are you looking for: a prime; a zoom; or both?  What is your approximate budget a lens, or each lens?

Professional cinematographers mostly use fully manual lenses, so that they can have direct and immediate control over aperture.  I own 3 of the Rokinon Cinema lenses, which are almost equivalent to their photographic equivalents.  The lenses are fully manual, and take great photos.  I have the 14mm for full frame sensors, the 16mm for APS-C sensors, and the 85mm for full frame sensors.  There are additional primes at 24, 35, and 50mm.

IMG_2016_02_240215.jpg

The above photo [kookaburra] was shot using a Rebel T5, and a Rokinon 85mm T1.5 cine lens.  It was taken without any flash, which were prohibited in the bird house.

The T rating of cinema lenses is roughly equivalent to the f/stop rating of photographic lenses.  Except, T ratings take into account the light that is lost as it passes through the various internal lens elements in the lens housing.  The light loss is comparable to a slightly smaller aperture.  Rokinon's T3.1 14mm cine lens is roughly equivalent to their 14mm f/2.8 lens, plus an additional f/0.3 for light loss.. 

The T rating of lens becomes most useful when you are switching lenses.  Lens "A" set for f/4 does not neccesarily pass the same amount of light as Lens "B" set for f/4.  But, when Lens "A" is set for T4, it will pass the same amount of light as Lens "B" when it is set for T4.  This helps you to better match exposure when switching lenses during a shoot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are looking for a Canon autofocus lens, I would suggest the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM "pancake" lens for use as a wide prime.  There are other Canon wide angle lens choices at 2-3 times the cost.  As far as zoom goes....what range?

Playland_Boardwalk.pdn.jpg

The above shot was taken with the EF-S 10-22mm wide angle zoom  for APS-C sensor bodies, like your 60D.  The lens is fast, quiet, and quite sharp.  However, like many zoom lenses, the zoom setting does "creep" with gravity.  I would recommend only using this lens on a leveled tripod when shooting video.  If you want handheld video, buy a camcorder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am only looking for one lense and going to go for a second hand lense because I am on a low budget, the second one sounds good, I'm looking for a lense that can zoom fairly far get good picture good video, one that can stay on the camera for every day use. Any other recommendations ?

@Samuel_ wrote:
I am only looking for one lense and going to go for a second hand lense because I am on a low budget, the second one sounds good, I'm looking for a lense that can zoom fairly far get good picture good video, one that can stay on the camera for every day use. Any other recommendations ?

The EF-S 10-22mm is hardly a lens that "can zoom fairly far".  The shot of the boardwalk above was shot at 20mm, I think, which would nearly be at its' longest focal length.  It is classified as a wide angle zoom, not telephoto, not even "standard" zoom. 

I would not categorize the lens as "budget", either.  Brand new, the price is what I consider to be at the upper end of consumer oriented lenses.  However, there is no substitute for good glass.  You can have a very good camera.  But, if you put a low quality lens on it, then you will get low quality images and photos.

I would suggest that you do not compromise on lens purchases, because you will only wind up buying a better, more expensive lens down the road.  If you feel that you are on a budget, then save up for a better lens, or buy just one, not two.

i have looked at that  EF-S 10-22mm wide angle zoom lense and its very good its nearly what i want, do you know anyothers like that but with image stableisation ?

@Samuel_ wrote:

i have looked at that  EF-S 10-22mm wide angle zoom lense and its very good its nearly what i want, do you know anyothers like that but with image stableisation ?

Actually, the 10-22 is a trifle wide for everyday use. Others you may want to consider, that arguably fit that profile a bit better, are the 16-35mm (which comes in both f/2.8 and f/4 versions) and the 17-55mm f/2,8. The 16-35mm f/2.8 apparently doesn't have IS (the others do), but frankly IS isn't all that important on a WA lens. All of these lenses have been around long enough that you might find them refurbished at Canon's on-line store. Buying used lenses is generally a crapshoot, because they can have damage or defects that are difficult to spot. But Canon refurbs are safe, because they come with a warranty comparable to that of a new lens.

If you opt for the 16-35mm f/2.8, note tht it comes in both Mark I and Mark II versions. I haven't used either one, but both are highly regarded. I own the f/4 and the 17-55 and have found both of them to be excellent.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Samuel_
Contributor
So would you recommend EF-S 10-22mm ?

@Samuel_ wrote:
So would you recommend EF-S 10-22mm ?

No.  You are only being told what lenses are out there from Canon. It is not clear what your photographic needs actually are.  A lot of video is shot with lenses that have focal lengths less than 100mm, and even less than 24mm.   The best focal length depends upon what you want to shoot, your shooting locaiton, and how you want the final shots to look. 

You seem to be looking for a single lens that can fit all scenarios.  Such a lens does not exist.  In fact, that is the precise reason why there are such a variety of lenses out there.  If you are on a budget, be patient and buy the best lens that you can afford, instead of two low budget, compromise lenses.

You asked about wide angle lenses for an APS-C camera body, and the 10-22mm is one of the best consumer lenses out there that fit that description.  On your 60D, it would have a focal length equivalent to 16-35mm on a full frame camera body. 

Is the 10-22mm wide angle?  Yes, very much so.  It probably has the most value as a video lens, or for taking stills of landscapes, cityscapes, and architecture.  I have used it extensively both with and without a tripod.  You can still get f/4 out of it when it is zommed to 18mm, though.  The lens is fast enough that a lack of Image Stabilization should not be a major issue, most especially when shooting video from a tripod.

I have not tried to use the 10-22mm much in low light situations, anymore, because I now have other lenses that I prefer to use.  When I did, I was using a tripod, and shooting subjects that were not in motion.  In other words, not a problem.  In fact, all but the slowest of lenses could handle that situation without too much trouble.  But, what is "low light"?  For me, it was shooting indoors with average room lighting, which is "low light" for most camera/lens setups.

There are several Canon lenses that could meet your critieria, but without knowing more about your shooting needs, and YOUR BUDGET, I hesitate to make any firm recommendations.  The 10-22mm could be for you, and then again, maybe not.  Perhaps my idea of "wide angle" is more enthusiastic [wider] than most people, which it probably is. 

You need to ask yourself, "Is the priority for the lens purchase going to be shooting video, or shooting stills?"

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bob from Boston,

"Actually, the 10-22 is a trifle wide for everyday use. Others you may want to consider, that arguably fit that profile a bit better, are the 16-35mm (which comes in both f/2.8 and f/4 versions) and the 17-55mm f/2,8."

I agree that 10mm is probably too wide for a FF but on a 60D, perhaps not.  I just bought a Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens.  It is living on a FF and is working out very well.  My first Tokina since the 80's and I am entirely impressed with it.

To the OP,

"Also with a good zoom ."

IMHO, there is no way I would go for a prime.  Again, if I were you, I would only be looking at zooms.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

"Actually, the 10-22 is a trifle wide for everyday use. Others you may want to consider, that arguably fit that profile a bit better, are the 16-35mm (which comes in both f/2.8 and f/4 versions) and the 17-55mm f/2,8."

I agree that 10mm is probably too wide for a FF but on a 60D, perhaps not.  I just bought a Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens.  It is living on a FF and is working out very well.  My first Tokina since the 80's and I am entirely impressed with it. ...

How does the Tokina compare to the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II? It had better be cheaper or sharper or both, given the Canon's advantage in zoom range. Or does the shorter zoom range give the Tokina noticeably less WA distortion? The Canon WA's are considered pretty good at distortion control, aren't they?

As for the OP's question, it's a bit hard to tell whether he wants a true WA or just a walkaround zoom with pretty good reach at the wide end.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements