cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong with my canon R?

uzumi99
Apprentice

Hey everyone. I'd love some feedback on this issue, as I am completely out of ideas.

I am trying to find the shutter count on my camera, but every time I try connecting my camera to a 3rd party app on my windows desktop, the program wont connect to the camera.

My computer recognizes the canon r just fine, as I am able to access my camera via file explorer, but for some reason, both programs (canon eos digital info and freeshuttercount) won't connect.

When I try to connect, the screen on my camera flashes from a computer icon, then to picture mode, then back to the computer icon.

Any of you guys have an idea what the issue might be?

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is not something that any of us worry or care about.  You cannot predict shutter life span or a camera's "health' by its shutter count.  Keep in mind that when you use LiveView the shutter is open.  So is that 1 shutter actuation or more while it stays open?  ShutterCount is said to work with the EOS R.  It runs on MAC OS.  I have no experience with it.    

shadowsports_1-1644935047493.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

What an utterly pointless response to this question. If you don't have a helpful answer why reply at all?

@Rolling_Lens wrote:

What an utterly pointless response to this question. If you don't have a helpful answer why reply at all?

As I said, when you are taking video or using Live View, the shutter is open.  I provided a potential solution.  

shadowsports_0-1653055222856.png

I also stated I have not actually used it.  Now do some research here and you will find a hundred posts from others who state the same thing.  Shuttercount is not an accurate measure of a camera's overall health.      

Welcome to the forums.  Great first post.  We'll look forward to your contributions. 

shadowsports_1-1653055662726.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Have you changed your camera's image numbering over its lifetime?  If not, a rough estimate can be based on your last-taken image's file name.

Unless you're near the "mean-time-before failure" amount, I wouldn't worry about shutter count.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Historically, the shutter count has not been accessible for a lot of Canon cameras.  Usually, as John said, as long as one has not changed the numbering defaults, and preferably used the same cards (or at least started with clean, i.e. clean formatted cards) then the file number is a good indication of the number of shutter actuations.  However, the use of a camera for video is a different matter, one can have an open shutter for huge periods and register as only one shot and then in terms of wear and tear, more cameras are using non-mechanical shutters - either as an option, or as the only shutter mechanism.   So, the use of a shutter count is fraught with issues.
Most modern DSLRs and MILCs have got very reliable shutters that should easily exceed 100k-150k and still be working.   I hope that is of some comfort and use to you. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It's been almost 4 months, so I don't know if the OP is even interested anymore.

I am not aware of any reliable shuttercount reading software for Windows computers.

For folks who are interested in the number, regardless of any perceived value in having it, there is a reliable macOS product called ShutterCount by Dire Studios. I have used it with several cameras checking before and after I sent to Canon for service with the value Canon reported.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements