cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "** USB not included with camera" mean?

Mercusio
Contributor

On Canon's list of supported beta webcam conversions: Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EOS Webcam Utility, they list some camera's as "** USB not included with camera". What does this mean? For example, the Rebel T8i has a "**" and yet on BestBuy specs it says, "Outputs: 3.5mm audio, HDMI, USB". I want to be able to hook this up to a PC and use for webcam. That's my goal. Which camera under $1000 is my best choice?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe it means a cable is not supplied.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Yep. That was it. Now that I have it, and I'm using their beta software, I'm not really satisfied with the video quality. It stutters a little - not sure if "slow frame rate" is the right term. As I move and speak, it looks just a little jerky. And the video lags the audio by a hair (using a Yeti mic and not the onboard camera mic). So... a little more tweaking before I give up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe it means a cable is not supplied.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yep. That was it. Now that I have it, and I'm using their beta software, I'm not really satisfied with the video quality. It stutters a little - not sure if "slow frame rate" is the right term. As I move and speak, it looks just a little jerky. And the video lags the audio by a hair (using a Yeti mic and not the onboard camera mic). So... a little more tweaking before I give up.

@Mercusio,

Greetings,

What are the specs of the PC you are connecting to?

Type of storage? (plattered disk, SSD, m.2)

CPU?

Amount of installed RAM?

Does it have a dedicated GPU?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I use a Microsoft Surface Pro, i7 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM SSD plenty of speed and space. I'm going through USB 3.0 with the connector from the camera.

I got a partial answer from another poster that said that Canon slowed down the frame rate on the webcam software to avoid sensor overheating. It seems to be a trade-off... do you want no perceptable flicker but flat colors by using a webcam like a Logitech Brio? Or do you want warm studio colors but put up with a slightly perceptable stutter of a reduced frame rate? I'd like both in one solution. I may take this camera back and try something else. Not sure yet.

Scott007
Apprentice

My Rebel T6 Camera is connected via USB into WIndows 10 64 bit Dell. The camera is in the video mode/ and I can see the image on LCD just fine.  However, my problem is the computer never detects Canon Rebel. I can plug a Cheap camera into the same USB port. and it is detected immediately.  In a few minutes, Rebel T6 clicks off.

Have you downloaded the beta webcam drivers for your T6? Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EOS Webcam Utility

Not yet.  Many thanks.  I will give that a try.

Announcements