cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of these is better for making prints for sale ? R6 or 5DMK4 ?

FidoQ
Contributor

So I'm ready to upgrade from my 6D Mark2 and trying to decide between those two cameras. I see each have their pro's and cons but my final decision  involves trying my hand at makeing prints to sell and or portraits. I need a versatile camera for great low light photos, video and prints and yes the R6 does 4k but I record only in 1080 for videos for now so not too worried about 4k till maybe another year. 

Any advice appreciated,

tia

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is a tough call at the moment.  

You won't go wrong with a 5D4.  If you own a bunch of EF glass, you can make this transition easily.  Note you'll only get about 4MP more than the 6D2.

This will be helpful for comparison:

Canon R6 vs Canon 5D MIV Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

If GPS is important to you...  5D4

If articulating screen is important...  R6

Video...  R6

Marginally better ISO performance - R6

Downsides of mirrorless:

Decreased battery life

No onboard GPS

Have to buy new memory cards

Eventually new lenses

Recovery time after shooting hi-res video higher than what you might expect or care for

The last might not be a downside depending:

R6 - 20.1MP

5D4 - 30MP

What do you plan to print or sell (how big)?

Others will be chiming in.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you Rick for the reply and agree its a tough call at this time, especially for an enthusiast that doesnt know alot of what some especs really mean. Greaat points you make for sure.

"

If GPS is important to you...  5D4

If articulating screen is important...  R6 yes I really like that when setting up to shoot video solo, very big plus imo

Video...  R6

Marginally better ISO performance - R6

Downsides of mir vs es vs  Still don'y quite understand this difference yet, not techie enough person so had not dug into that research yet

Decreased battery life no worries there, will just carry a couple more batteries, mostly shoot at home so non issue

No onboard GPS ,,  dont care for that,  

Have to buy new memory cards, I thought the R6 used same as the 6Dmk2?, you see how much I know lol

Eventually new lenses,  yes an expense I rather not do just yet

Recovery time after shooting hi-res video higher than what you might expect or care for Big concern or I would have bought he R6 already

The last might not be a downside depending:

R6 - 20.1MP <<<< This is another reason I have held back, was wondering if it's enough for prints?

5D4 - 30MP

"Note you'll only get about 4MP more than the 6D2." ?? Trying to understand this? Where are those specs? So it's not the difference in sensor size as in as in 20 vs 30 ??

What do you plan to print or sell (how big)??  Thinking like wall art for restaurants and man caves, food pics, cars pics, landscape so maybe 20x30 or 15-24 ? At this point I don't know what the standard sizes are? 

shawnphoto
Enthusiast

@FidoQ wrote:

So I'm ready to upgrade from my 6D Mark2 and trying to decide between those two cameras. I see each have their pro's and cons but my final decision  involves trying my hand at makeing prints to sell and or portraits. I need a versatile camera for great low light photos, video and prints and yes the R6 does 4k but I record only in 1080 for videos for now so not too worried about 4k till maybe another year. 

Any advice appreciated,

tia

How about the EOS R? It's the same sensor as the 5D IV for less money. Plus you can use RF glass and EF glass. 

" How about the EOS R? It's the same sensor as the 5D IV for less money. Plus you can use RF glass and EF glass."

Thanks Shawn, i think its a great camera but just want to upgrade to something newer or the 5d4, my son has an R and really likes it and he also has a 1DXmk2 but uses the R more, he's pushing me towards the R6 as a better choice. Some things about it I dont like so if an R is in it it will be a newer one.

I see some youtubers loving the R6 and some not happy with it's shortcomings, mainly the overheating and some other minor details, starting to think it needs more time for Canon to work out the bugs but I wanted to buy before years end. 

Thanks

Announcements