cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does everyone think of white Canon cameras?

thisiswater
Contributor

I'm a new owner of a red T5 and my daughter bought a white SL1. Features aside for a moment, what do you think of colored cameras?

6 REPLIES 6

@thisiswater wrote:

I'm a new owner of a red T5 and my daughter bought a white SL1. Features aside for a moment, what do you think of colored cameras?

Street photographers don't like colored cameras, because they make the photographer more conspicuous. I suspect that most other serious photographers think that colored cameras look silly. But under hot conditions in bright sunlight a white camera will heat up more slowly and probably reach a lower steady-state temperature. That's also an argument for large lenses being white or gray, a convention that Canon tends to follow.

And it can be a way of identifying otherwise identical cameras. A few years ago my wife and I each had an XTi, a model that happened to come in both black and gray. So we bought one of each so that we could tell them apart.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Personally, cameras are black.  They always have been black. They will always be black.  Just my 2 cents because you asked and worth every penny. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Personally, cameras are black.  They always have been black. They will always be black.  Just my 2 cents because you asked and worth every penny. Smiley Happy

Actually, Ernie, I believe you're old enough to remember when 35mm cameras were mostly bare metal. I remember when Nikon started offering a black version (probably of the S-3 or SP) to make it less conspicuous for street photography. They charged a bit extra for it, to cover the cost of the paint job.

I think most 35mm lenses were bare metal too. I distinctly recall that my first 135mm Nikkor telephoto was.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston

"Actually, Ernie, I believe you're old enough to remember when 35mm cameras were mostly bare metal."

Yes, sir, I am and do remember.  I did pay something extra to get a Ricoh Pentax mount in black (as it should be Smiley Happy)

ricoh_tls_401_001.jpg

All my many Canons have been black (as it should be Smiley Happy)

IMG_0039.jpg

IMHO, of course!  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think a lot more of the white lenses. 😉

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Technically, there is no difference between a "black" SL1 body and a "white" SL1 body -- apart from color.  The SL1 is an upgrade over a T5 in terms of features (it's positioned above the T5 in the product line-up.)

You are effectively asking a fashion question since it's really not a technical issue.  Most cameras are, of course, black.  But just about everyone has come out with colored editions for some models of their cameras.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements