cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes custom shooting mode settings to return to their default?

Bazsl
Rising Star

I have custom shooting modes C1 and C2 set to specific settings with auto update disabled. If I change a setting, such as exposure compensation, the exposure compensation resets to the programmed setting (zero) some times and I don't know what I am doing to cause the value to reset to the saved value for the custom shooting mode. I have NOT turned the camera off and my tests indicate that the camera going to sleep does not reset the exposure compensation. My question is, what actions cause the settings I change during a shoot when in a custom shooting mode to reset to the saved values? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The camera menu setting is actually called Auto Power Off. It and switching to Off are the same as far as the camera is concerned. Only difference is that if you switch it off you can't wake it without switching back on.

My 1D X shows the same behavior.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Auto Update is disabled.  I leave it disabled.  For me, that's half the point of having the custom mode. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As I said in the first sentence of my original post, auto update is disabled. If auto update were not disabled there would be no stored value to return to. So, my question remains. What, besides power off power on, will cause the the values that have been changed during a shoot to return to the values stored in the custom shooting mode?

Hi Bazsl,

Thanks for checking in with us.

Depending on the camera you have, switching from stills to movies might affect the settings stored in C1 or C2, particularly if the camera can't sustain the selected settings for video recording. You may also wish to check the camera's auto power down settings in the menu.

You might also have active Custom Functions like safety shift that could override current saved exposure settings.

If problems persist, please elaborate on which camera you have and which exposure settings you are using.

Let me try for a simple explanation.

Camera = R5

I perform the following steps:

1) Turn camera on.

2) Set mode to C1

3) Take a few pictures.

4) Change exposure compensation to -1 stop.

5) Take a few pictures.

6) Wait a while.

7) Wake the camera from sleep and the exposure compensation is back to zero which is the setting saved in C1.

Update settings is disabled. At no time did I turn the R5 off. What caused the exposure compensation to change from -1 to zero? The exposure compensation did not change because the camera went to sleep. I have tested that. I must have done something else but what? Thanks.

The camera menu setting is actually called Auto Power Off. It and switching to Off are the same as far as the camera is concerned. Only difference is that if you switch it off you can't wake it without switching back on.

My 1D X shows the same behavior.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John. I'll watch for that in the future.

@Bazsl wrote:

Let me try for a simple explanation.

Camera = R5

I perform the following steps:

1) Turn camera on.

2) Set mode to C1

3) Take a few pictures.

4) Change exposure compensation to -1 stop.

5) Take a few pictures.

6) Wait a while.

7) Wake the camera from sleep and the exposure compensation is back to zero which is the setting saved in C1.

Update settings is disabled. At no time did I turn the R5 off. What caused the exposure compensation to change from -1 to zero? The exposure compensation did not change because the camera went to sleep. I have tested that. I must have done something else but what? Thanks.

Like I said, you have [Update Settings] disabled.  As long as the update option is disabled, any changes you make to the exposure or camera settings will get reset as soon as the metering timer expiires.  

I suggest that you try enabling it, if you wish for any settings changes to be stored and retained.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am running into this as well. I think the implementation of this is stupid. I don't want to lose my settings. I want them to remain when I turn the camera on. They reset when going from off to on, this is logical. But if I have the camera on, the camera resets the changes when it sleeps, this means I am fighting the camera to keep the settings I am currently using, this makes no sense. I am setting up for a shoot in the studio, because I had to move a light, my settings are reset. That is stupid. The camera should never change my settings unless I turn the camera off or change the dial to a different custom setting. Your answer is to enable update settings. I do not want the settings to change ever. I want them as a starting point when I turn the camera on. Every shoot will be different and I want to change exposure compensation because I am shooting in snow. I don't want the camera changing my exposure compensation randomly or when it decides to go to sleep. I want it to reset to the custom functions when I turn the camera off and on or when I change the dial. Changing setting when it goes to sleep is the equivalent of while you are shooting, you step away to move a light and someone keeps coming over to change your setting. You would break that persons arm. Now the camera is doing it buy itself without you telling it to reset by turning it off. Stupid.

The best solution I have found is to set up the camera as you wish then go to the tools menu and save the settings to the card, then enable update settings. When you turn the camera on for a new shoot go to the tools menu and choose load settings from card to reinitialize all settings to your desired configuration.

Announcements