cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Should I Buy ? Canon 6D or Canon 5D Mark 3 ?

Janabi79
Contributor

Dear All ,

this is my first message and participation in Canon Community ..

i am owner of Canon 1000D then 7d Mark I 

i am architect and love architectural & Cityscpae photography during Golden & Blue hour and also Night Photography .

thats it ... 🙂 , this what i shot usually ,( attached samples of my photography work ) IMG_0001-2-2.jpg

Now i need to upgrade to Full Frame camera and hesitited between 6D & 5d mark iii ,,, some say 6D enough for such kind of low light photography & some say go with 5D mark III ...

So i decided to put this message in this forum and appricate your advise before i buy .... 

regards 

Mohammed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority

Hi, and welcome to the forum. 

The 6d would not only be adequate for your particular uses, it would actually be better in a couple of ways. You mention low light performance as your key need.  6d is better than the 5d3 in low light.

First, 6d can autofocus in dimmer light than the 5d3 can (-3ev vs -2 ev).  Second, the image quality at high ISO is just a little better for the 6d and you will typically be shooting with higher ISO in dim light. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Janabi79 wrote:

Dear All ,

i am architect and love architectural & Cityscpae photography during Golden & Blue hour and also Night Photography .

thats it ... 🙂

Now i need to upgrade to Full Frame camera and hesitited between 6D & 5d mark iii ,,, some say 6D enough for such kind of low light photography & some say go with 5D mark III ...

So i decided to put this message in this forum and appricate your advise before i buy .... 

regards 

Mohammed

The 6D would be sufficient for your type of photography.

ScottyP
Authority

Hi, and welcome to the forum. 

The 6d would not only be adequate for your particular uses, it would actually be better in a couple of ways. You mention low light performance as your key need.  6d is better than the 5d3 in low light.

First, 6d can autofocus in dimmer light than the 5d3 can (-3ev vs -2 ev).  Second, the image quality at high ISO is just a little better for the 6d and you will typically be shooting with higher ISO in dim light. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Many Thanks For all the time Spent in Explaining and supporting , 

Based on all above , Since 6D is good in low light and thanks for the advise to save money and spend on better lens

i Will go with Canon 6D & Canon Lens EF 17-40 f4 USM .

thank you so much again Smiley Happy

@Janabi79 wrote:

Many Thanks For all the time Spent in Explaining and supporting , 

Based on all above , Since 6D is good in low light and thanks for the advise to save money and spend on better lens

i Will go with Canon 6D & Canon Lens EF 17-40 f4 USM .

thank you so much again Smiley Happy

Prices may vary in your area, but if you were in the U.S. ...

By choosing the 6D over the 5D3, you'd save enough to afford the 16-35mm f/4L IS USM, which most consider to be a better lens. Just a thought.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not knowing anything about you except what you said, get the 6D.  If you have to ask by all means the 6D.

The 5D Mk III is a far better more featured camera in every way.  It will require a lot more learning to use all it offers.

I think the 5D Mk IV is selling for what the 5d3 did when it was the current top of the line.  So the 5d3 is being discounted if that makes any difference to you.  But you need to be willing to put in the time to learn it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Janabi79 wrote:

Dear All ,

thats it ... 🙂 , this what i shot usually ,( attached samples of my photography work ) IMG_0001-2-2.jpg

regards 

Mohammed

I have nothing to add to the advice you've already gotten; I just want to compliment the picture. I particularly like the way you used the highway intersection, an ugly distraction in many contexts, as an artistic element to help frame the Burj. Very nice shot!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The 5d3 does have certain features the 6d doesn't, like more complicated autofocus for capturing moving subjects, weather sealing for when it rains but neither of these are things you describe as being very relevant to making your kind of images. (Nice photo by the way). 

Money not spent on unneeded extra camera features can be spent to greater effect on new lenses.  Going from crop to full frame may prompt you to buy new lenses 

Scott

@ScottyP wrote:

The 5d3 does have certain features the 6d doesn't, like more complicated autofocus for capturing moving subjects, weather sealing for when it rains but neither of these are things you describe as being very relevant to making your kind of images. (Nice photo by the way). 

Like the 5D Mk III, the 6D has weather/dust sealing, neither have the level of weather/sealing of 1DX or 7D Mk II. 

With either the 5D Mk III or the 6D you are going to want to use extra protection in heavy rain.

"I have nothing to add to the advice you've already gotten; I just want to compliment the picture. I particularly like the way you used the highway intersection, an ugly distraction in many contexts, as an artistic element to help frame the Burj. Very nice shot!"

I agree.  It is a very nice shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements