cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Second Camera Body Should I Buy?

poodles_potato
Apprentice

Hello All! I am looking to buy a second camera body for an upcoming trip I have planned. I typically just do landscape photography and my current camera has been working really well for an amateur like me. (I've included a few photos of mine for reference so you can see the quality that my current camera is working with)

My reasoning for wanting a second body is twofold. One is in order to prevent having to switch out my lenses as much between telephoto and wide angle depending on the shot I need. And second, is because my current camera body seems to be a bit on the fritz. I've had my current camera since 2012. I also want to have less noise in my astrophotography landscape shots and a flip out screen!

I was wondering if people would recommend I just buy the same camera or look to upgrade to something different? I wanted to be able to keep using all my same lenses which work just fine. I don't quite understand a lot of the differences between mirrorless, full frame etc., and how easy it would be to switch over to those or if its even worth it. Ideally I would like to spend under $1000 for this second body as well.

My Current Camera & Lenses:

• Canon Rebel EOS T3
  • EFS 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM
  • EFS 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II
  • EFS 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS II
  • Rokinon 16mm F2.0 For Canon EF-S

Should I Buy:

• Another Canon Rebel T3?
  • Maybe a Canon Rebel T3i since that has a flip out screen instead?
  • A Newer Canon Rebel model? T7i?
  • A different model altogether that works with my current lenses?

Image2.jfifImage3.jfifImage4.jfif

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

First, your photos look excellent - congratulations on the results you have achieved with your current gear.
Given that you have a significant investment in EF-S lenses, I would suggest a couple of options:
1- sticking to a DSLR, but a more modern one.  In that respect you can pick up an EOS 90D, which is the last DSLR model to be made by Canon: $956 - Canon Refurbished EOS 90D Camera Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Canon have moved from DSLRs to the new Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs), that are now the current platform for Canon's line and development for the future. They offer significant improvements in the technology over DSLRs: including being able to see exposure in the viewfinder, sensor performance (dynamic range and ISO performance), and face and eye tracking of subjects.  They are thus an investment in the future.

2- In that respect, within your budget you could get a great deal on an EOS R10 with an RF 18-45mm lens, replacing your ageing 18-55 for $599 - see the listing for specs.
Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit  To use this body with your current lenses you would need a Canon EF-RF adapter $129 Mount Adapter EF-EOS R (canon.com)

Canon refurb cameras and lenses are either over stock and new, open box but unused, show, demo units or lightly used.  They are 'good as new' and come with a Canon warranty.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements