cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty for Used gear?

Cytography
Contributor

If I purchase a used EOS R5, is it possible to purchase any type of warranty directly from Canon under any circumstances?  One of the customer reps at B&H thought so, but I've never heard of this.  Any info and conditions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings cytography,

Canon doesn't sell used gear.  You can buy CarePaks on refurbished devices purchased from Canon.

CarePaks are also transferrable.

Used gear from KEH, Adorama, B&H, etc are not eligible for CarePak coverage.

Since you purchased from B&H, I would recommend their 3rd party coverage from Allstate.  If you didn't buy this at the time of purchase, you should have a small window to buy them afterwards.  Just visit your orders page and look at your invoices.

shadowsports_0-1671490927942.png

Considering you just spent several thousand dollars, a few hundred for the protection it affords can be valuable.  If anything goes wrong, its covered during the warranty period.  While CarePaks are preferable, coverage from Allstate, Square Trade and others can be quite good.  If your Camera does suffer a failure, the cost will probably exceed the price you paid for the warranty.  Cameras are delicate and require precision assembly/disassembly.

CPS membership is a little different.  These memberships have a slightly different model.  There is an annual fee based on the membership level you qualify for.  More gear = more membership options.  Repairs are not covered at 100% like a CarePak, but you can get cleanings, maintenance, repair discounts, priority service, and free or greatly reduced shipping. 

All of this information is available on the links above or by logging into your My Canon Account, CarePaks and CPS Membership levels. 

About CarePaks: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/extended-warranties-carepak

CPS Info in your My Canon Acct

shadowsports_1-1671493566262.png

Also here:

Canon Professional Services | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Hope it helps!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Stephen

Hello!

I'm not a support tech; however, you'll find the warranty information on our site in a couple of places.

It's under EOS DSLR Cameras (even though this is mirrorless) canon.us/warranty

It's also on the product page, you just have to poke around a bit. Here's the page: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r5 

Under the "Product Info" section, there's a sub-section that you can expand that says "Warranty Info."

This excerpt is valid as of today (12/19/2022) for the USA and Canada only and is not any implied or extension of warranty of any kind (the Warranty is a legal document):

Canon U.S.A., Inc. and Canon Canada Inc. (collectively "Canon") warrant to the original end-user purchaser, when delivered in new condition in its original container, that the Product will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of one (1) year from the date of original purchase. Product returned to a Canon repair facility and proven to be defective upon inspection will, at Canon’s sole discretion and without charge, be (a) repaired utilizing new, remanufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts; (b) exchanged for a new Product or; (c) exchanged for a refurbished Product, as determined by the Canon repair facility. Warranty exchange or replacement does not extend the original warranty period of the Product.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Cytography wrote:

If I purchase a used EOS R5, is it possible to purchase any type of warranty directly from Canon under any circumstances?  One of the customer reps at B&H thought so, but I've never heard of this.  Any info and conditions would be appreciated.

If you are interested in setting up or buying some type of warranty, then I recommend looking into the Canon CPS accounts.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings cytography,

Canon doesn't sell used gear.  You can buy CarePaks on refurbished devices purchased from Canon.

CarePaks are also transferrable.

Used gear from KEH, Adorama, B&H, etc are not eligible for CarePak coverage.

Since you purchased from B&H, I would recommend their 3rd party coverage from Allstate.  If you didn't buy this at the time of purchase, you should have a small window to buy them afterwards.  Just visit your orders page and look at your invoices.

shadowsports_0-1671490927942.png

Considering you just spent several thousand dollars, a few hundred for the protection it affords can be valuable.  If anything goes wrong, its covered during the warranty period.  While CarePaks are preferable, coverage from Allstate, Square Trade and others can be quite good.  If your Camera does suffer a failure, the cost will probably exceed the price you paid for the warranty.  Cameras are delicate and require precision assembly/disassembly.

CPS membership is a little different.  These memberships have a slightly different model.  There is an annual fee based on the membership level you qualify for.  More gear = more membership options.  Repairs are not covered at 100% like a CarePak, but you can get cleanings, maintenance, repair discounts, priority service, and free or greatly reduced shipping. 

All of this information is available on the links above or by logging into your My Canon Account, CarePaks and CPS Membership levels. 

About CarePaks: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/extended-warranties-carepak

CPS Info in your My Canon Acct

shadowsports_1-1671493566262.png

Also here:

Canon Professional Services | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Hope it helps!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks all - B&H has a pretty good reputation.  hopefully I won't need service any time soon.  Still might get their coverage (I think I have 30 days to decide)

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

B&H does sell mack 2 year warranties for used camera/lenses

\

Used Extended Warranties for Used Digital Cameras | B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com)

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Hmm, thanks - I wonder why the reps didn't;t tell me about this when I called?  Guess I'll call again and see if there's still time to buy.  Thanks! 

Announcements