cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning EOS 70D - Take a long movie within the warranty period

nia
Apprentice

Thank you for all the posts.  If I had read them first, I would not have bought such an unrealiable camera.  It's the most expensive and the only unrealiable camera I've owned.

My camera shuts off while taking a movie - at anywhere between 2 and 6 minutes.  Sometimes the movie is saved.  Sometimes not.

The camera is about 2 years old - with high use for 2 weeks of vacation and almost no use after that.  (My main camera is the Canon G10.)  Short vacation clips worked using the new camera.  Filming a wedding last month failed.

TRY A LONG MOVIE BEFORE YOUR CAMERA IS OUT OF WARRENTY.

At first, I could turn the camera off then on and power would come back.  Now I must recharge the fully charged battery.  A few seconds suffices.  

A secondary complaint:  The camera shutting off during a movie seems to be common.  The Canon technical representative I talked to had never seen it before.  (He was very thorough about talking me through many options and resetting the camera.)  I will not be throwing good money after bad at the repair center.

Any hopeful suggestions always welcome.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ray-uk
Whiz

Have you tried using a new battery ?

View solution in original post

Ray-uk
Whiz

A cheaper non canon battery will be good enough to test with, a lot of people use the 3rd party batteries all the time without trouble.

I have a similar problem with one of my old spare batteries in my 50D, it doesn't last as long as a newer one and I recharge it when the cameras battery icon starts flashing, but when I put it in the charger it takes about 10 seconds before the charger says it's full. I've  never tried putting it straight back in the camera again and I usually leave it in the charger for about 4 hours before re-using it.. Probably time to throw it away.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ray-uk
Whiz

Have you tried using a new battery ?

I wondered about the battery also, but don't have a spare.

The Canon rep seemed to think it was the camera and the battery is out of stock at Canon right now.  Internet prices vary from $64 to $14.  Since the instructions warn against a non-Canon battery, I don't know if a cheap one would be safe.

I will be visiting my sister who has the same battery next month and plan to try swapping.

Thanks for the feedback.

@nia wrote:

I wondered about the battery also, but don't have a spare.

The Canon rep seemed to think it was the camera and the battery is out of stock at Canon right now.  Internet prices vary from $64 to $14.  Since the instructions warn against a non-Canon battery, I don't know if a cheap one would be safe.

I will be visiting my sister who has the same battery next month and plan to try swapping.

Thanks for the feedback.

As a test, try taking a video at a lower resolution setting.  If it works without issue, then your memory card is the most likely culprit.  It is not fast enough for the higher resolution recording modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you.  Yes, I've reduced the resolution, frame rate, and compression.  I'm also using 3 different cards, with uploads of 20M, 50M, and 60M.  

Another responder said that the cheap batteries were OK for testing, so I'm going to try that next.

@nia wrote:

Thank you.  Yes, I've reduced the resolution, frame rate, and compression.  I'm also using 3 different cards, with uploads of 20M, 50M, and 60M.  

Another responder said that the cheap batteries were OK for testing, so I'm going to try that next.

I think that was an oversimplification. House-brand batteries from reputable online stores are usually safe. Sometimes they're even a bit more powerful than their Canon equivalents. Really cheap batteries sold online are apt to be counterfeits or cheaply made knockoffs. They're the ones that can start fires.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ray-uk
Whiz

A cheaper non canon battery will be good enough to test with, a lot of people use the 3rd party batteries all the time without trouble.

I have a similar problem with one of my old spare batteries in my 50D, it doesn't last as long as a newer one and I recharge it when the cameras battery icon starts flashing, but when I put it in the charger it takes about 10 seconds before the charger says it's full. I've  never tried putting it straight back in the camera again and I usually leave it in the charger for about 4 hours before re-using it.. Probably time to throw it away.

Thank you.  I'll order a cheap battery tonight.

The battery seems strong and reliable when taking stills.  The battery was fully charged (like overnight) but stopped after a 2-3 minute movie.  There was no message; the movie was not saved; the camera just turned off.  The only way I found to restart the camera was to charge the battery - and a few seconds sufficed.

Our movies within the warrenty period were only 1-2 minutes, so this may have been a undetected manufacturing problem.  I'll hope it's within the battery.  I'll post again after trying a different battery.

Announcements