cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to save images at smaller file sizes when using EOS Utility or other tethering software

kyleb
Apprentice

My company uses an SL2 w/ EOS Utility to photo products in a high volume sales biz on eBay. We are shooting at the lowest quality available (s2), which generally results in file sizes of about 1 to 2 MBs. We are typically uploading about 2500 images to our server at a time, which can take 3 or 4 hours. So, we bulk re-size the images as a separate step in our process, but would like to eliminate this step by just having the photos saved right off the camera at around half a MB or less. Any ideas?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have a SL2 but doesn't it have a file size option? I would be shocked if it doesn't. Select small jpg in the menus and all your photos will be a great deal smaller. No batch processing needed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

File size isn't a setting, I think it's image size, like 2400X1800 or something like that. We're already using the smallest image size available on the camera but the FILE size is still too large. I want the file size to be less than half a MB right out of the camera.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There is nothing you can do in-camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"We're already using the smallest image size available on the camera but the FILE size is still too large."

Maybe but there is one more setting you can try.

The next thing you can do to reduce the file size in camera is to reduce the jpg quality. If you do that and it is still too big I am afraid JH is right, you are out of camera options to reduce them.  The only other camera option would be find a camera with a smaller sensor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements