cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video stops with apparently good card

Aaronlim
Apprentice
Rebel t5 video recording stops after a short while. Sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes 2 minutes. I have a 80 MB/s san disk class 10 card. I have formatted my card several times. Recently i have been allowing my mom and sister use their cards in my camera. What gives? I tried to put all relevant info in the body. Let me know if theres anything else.
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have a strong suspicion that nothing is wrong with the camera, or the cards.

Read the part in the instruction manual about file size and video clip length when you're in Movie Mode.  Also, be aware that the image sensor can become quite warm, actually hot enough to cause the camera to shut itself down.  That's in the instruction manual, too.

Maximum file size has a hard limit of 4 GB, which is due to the file system used to store data on the memory cards. 

Depending upon the video resolution that you select, you can run up against that 4GB limit in a few minutes.  Let's suppose that you select the maximum HD resolution.  Your camera is recording 50-60 images per second. Let's say each image is 2MB in size.  That image size works out to 100MB of disk space every two seconds, 1 GB of space in 20 seconds, and you hit the 4GB limit in just over a minute.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Aaronlim
Apprentice
Ill try the manual some more and mess with some settings. Thanks!

Peter
Authority
Authority
T5 can use exFat. That means that the 4 GB limit is possible to pass. If you have a card from 64 GB and bigger I think the camera will use exFat without you doing anything more than format it. If you have 32 GB or smaller you will need to use a computer and choose exFat instead of Fat32 when you format the card.

I suppose your camera has a maximum write speed of 43 MB/s. For video recording I suppose the camera will need about 10 MB/s.
You wrote that your card was a 80 MB/s SanDisk. I suppose that is the maximum read speed, so we still don't know the write speed of your card. Have you tried to low level format your card in the camera?
Announcements