cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very noisy Video quality

Mitch345
Contributor

Hey all! So Ive recently started making videos on a regular basis and ive noticed a very very strong grain in my videos. Ive search basically everything up and I just cant seem to figure anything out. 

This is the video I took just as an example of this horribel noise that is happening. I've tried it with higher light aswell and it just doesnt seem to fix it. If anyone has an help or suggestions that would be great!

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Higher light level may still not be enough light to get to a low enough ISO. What does the metadata say about camera settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Where can I find the Metadata?

Use ISO 160, 320, 640 and ISO 1250. It will give you less dynamic range but also less noise when you video record.

My camera only has ISO 100, 200, 400, 800 etc. It gets unbeliveably dark when I turn it down to 320 and I am using professional lighting. Its on F/4 and I am completely stuck

"Professional lighting" doesn't define intensity.  Sounds like there's just not enough light. What settings does your camera want to set if you try to take a still photo in P mode?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The lights are as bright as outside if that puts it into perspective. And in P, its 40, 4.0 and 400 for the main settings. That is with the lights on. I dont have the noise issue when It comes to photography but videography is a different story

@Mitch345 wrote:

The lights are as bright as outside if that puts it into perspective. And in P, its 40, 4.0 and 400 for the main settings. That is with the lights on. I dont have the noise issue when It comes to photography but videography is a different story

If you're recording at 60 FPS, then 1/40 sec shutter speed isn't fast enough.  You would need a faster shutter, which means a higher ISO setting ... and more noise.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Recording at 1920x1080 at 30 fps. I set the shutter speed to double which is 1/60. Those were just the settings that the camera came up with while in automatic.

@Mitch345 wrote:

Recording at 1920x1080 at 30 fps. I set the shutter speed to double which is 1/60. Those were just the settings that the camera came up with while in automatic.

And, what are the recording like when you use the "automatic" settings? 

If you increased the shutter speed to 1/60, compared to 1/40 in the automatic setting, then you will also need to increase the ISO to maintain the same exposure, which increases noise.

BTW, the keyboard video is recorded in a fairly dark environment.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements